X

very dim low beam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very dim low beam

I'm stumped here. My low beams are dangerously dim on my 05 750. Its not the bulb,I've used several brand new ones, swapped between bikes and have the same results. I broke out the multi meter and compared the readings to my other Kat sitting next to it.
    findings: 05 750: battery = 12.44v, low beam 12.31v,high beam 0.00v.
    98 600: battery= 11.67v,low beam 11.33, high beam 1.0v.
    even with the weak battery in my 600 the low headlights blow away the 750. Also to note, there's no issue with the high beam,its very bright. Those numbers are with the low beams only. Am I supposed to have 1 volt to the high with the low beams?
    Last edited by c-rod90; 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM.

Check your connections, volts is not the only requirement for proper operation. If the connection can't supply the required current, amps, it will act like low voltage.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Bad earth contact ?

Colin.
      Carpe Jugulum...
      1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

I've tried grounding the bulb independently of the harness,same results. The high and low use the same ground, and the high beam works really well.

Comment

The selector switch uses the same ground wire always. The high low option is chosen when the switch selects one of 2 wires to complete the circuit for one of the 2 options. The switch works as a "rocker" set up, so it's not the same connection point for the power input, but it is the same for the ground. Imagine a see saw on the playground. If either end is the connection point the power, but the center pivot is the ground... it's possible for one end to be problematic (issues with low beam) yet the high beam work fine.

It's possible for the switch to be held at exactly the center and engage both circuits at the same time FYI as well (both high and low on).

If the switch is dirty, damaged, or other wise not working right it can cause all sorts of issues with the power flow. As mentioned, an improper connection can cause problems even with the proper voltage being supplied.

I would suggest you remove the switch, disassemble it, and do a full cleaning of the connection points in it. If it's tarnished or heavily soiled on just the low beam side of the switch, that could cause the problem your having; for example.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Is the bulb holder ok ? no visible corrosion or damage ? is there a good connection between the wires and the bulb holder ? have you lost any voltage at the contact point of the the bulb holder where it meets the bulb ? are you sure there isn't a broken or internally corroded wire feeding the bulb holder ?

Sounds like a dodgy bulb holder to me
            Hope you find the problem soon, Colin.
            Carpe Jugulum...
            1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

I have two brand new bulb holders, came with the headlight. I'll try the switch idea. Makes sense

Comment

Working...
              X