X

Quick wiring question for heater grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick wiring question for heater grips

Ok I'm installing the polly grip heaters that go inside the handle bars, not under the grips. The directions are crap and i cant find anyone on here about them in the search. I have two wires coming from each heater. The directions say one wire from each goes to the switch and the other one from each goes to the power source. I tried to tap into the running light wires because they are easy access and they are also after the ignition. I can't seem to get any heat. I tried a splice tap with no luck and i also have tried unplugging the running light wire connector and pushing one wire into each slot in the plug. Still no luck. Do both wires need to go to + or - or one of each? I suck at wiring. Any help is appreciated.
    2004 Suzuki Katana 750

Most heaters work on resistance, that means you needs + and - going to each. I would say the hot wire from your source goes to one side of the switch, both the + from heaters to the other. That would turn them on. I'm assuming the other is -. This is a total guess but is normally how things work.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

this may help
      BTW all basic relays will be labeled that way , I used a Bosch brand
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i have installed a couple of them, you definitly need to use a relay. the running light could be used to trigger the relay, i always run a wire from the positive side of the battery. take a wire from each heater and splice together. run one to positve and one set to a ground on the frame.
        1990 katana 1100

Comment

The manufactures directions don't mention that I need a relay. Granted I've had a few really good beers tonight but im not sure I understand. So my switch is an on/off switch so it has two prongs on the back. Each grip heater has two wires. So am I to run 1 wire from the positive side of the battery to one prong on the switch and then combine one wire from each grip to the other prong on the switch. Then, tap the other two into the running light? All of the diagrams I find online have a Hi/Low switch and it's confusing. I'll review these again in the morning when my head's not so foggy. Thanks for the replies
          2004 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Without the relay setup you WILL blow a fuse every time you go to switch the heaters on. They draw a huge amount of amps compared to most anything else (except the lights) on the bike.

Comment

Unfortunately it's that time of year again when many riders have put their bikes away for the winter. But for a few lucky souls, snow and ice aren't the issue, but bitter cold. Contributor Leif Merryfield shows us how to keep your digits toasty
              1990 katana 1100

Comment

Working...
              X