X

Been busy ;)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been busy ;)

Been busy these days did fer new stuff for my Kate.
    Since you all now by now im a DIY guy, and 3 mods were done.
    Oil temp + gear position display/sensor + red dash lights (not really a mod but hey)

so we begin

first goes , right , dissasembly of dash.
    dash is being hold by 3 nuts above headlight, and can not be retrieved as easily , so you need to make loose whole front end of plastics if not remove them completely (maybe better idea), mirrors and visor off to gain access .
    unscrewing those 3 nuts and we remove the large connector to dash and we're moving in to house ...

the back side has around 10 screws - unscrewing . blue plastics which can be seen ( 4 pieces ) are lightbulb holders for instrument lightning, black ones are for turn signals / oil / high beam etc.
    we remove the black front.

oil temp instrument/gauge .
    on the underside im removing everything.
    then aluminum ring on top of the need to undress, with screwdriver i spread edges and im removing the cover glass .
    as you can see contacts are screws which will in no way be able to fit the dash. followed cutting with grinder by placing one nut at each screw and grind till i reach that nut, that way when i unscrew it excess debris will fall off leaving perfect thread. this part I didnt photograph because of lack of hands .

Now removing the pointer on oil temp gauge and changing background of it.playing around with backgrounds
    background is plain carbon vinyl and then on it there is transparent one with numbers .. scoop this Type- R . and looking to place the background of this S suzuki character that is completely the same diameter , but I realize that im gonna need to drill in the middle of this Z so im giving up and placing the black vinyl on this transparent one with numbers.

Im driling holes in this plastic with numbers of temperature , placing wires and screwing it to Suzuki sighn place.

checking for any contacts with dash PCB- no contact, good..! 1mm above the resistor on the PCB

and by the way Ive placed the display of the gear device in its place , routing all cables together and pulling them through those shrinking tube.

while mounting it on bike i managed to cut myslef....TWICE !
    to ones with weak stomaches do not watch next 3 photos

My guide for digital gear indicator mod

Ok so no complicated work here, i did pcb my own, at home with acid and you wont believe -nail enamel ( name is on product, its nail paint, girls use it)
    ok work time.
    used double sided PCB (had no other) and made lines on it counting rows on schematics of digi gear thingy.

next i placed it in acid and waited for it to eat copper surface on PCB leaving painted ones untouched.

next was cleaning and drilling holes for elements.

after that placing elements into their position and making a electonic sandwitch

ALIENS!

soldering, adding resistors por not frying the led display adn conecting wires.

test went fine, all was working

now for the mechanic part, well its hard to do, but not that hard
    what really bugged me was the idea if i manage to break the sensor im screwed. and im pretty able to do stupid stuff

removing left side fairings and sprocket cover, then digging through the oil + mud mass and getting to sensor located under front sprocket. 2 philips screws are holding it-removed.

now the good part
    HINT:
    i used the slight uphill on parkinglot and placed bike on centerstand using that uphill to transfer oil to other side of oil pan, so that when i remove this sensor i wont get oil leak there. if on flat surface, oil would spill from there after removing sensor. bare that in mind if you decide to do this mod.

moving indoors.

clean it good, clean it real good
    ok degreasing it with axel sgrasso, heavy stuff, i clean my chain in matter of seconds with this stuff and it doesnt hurt rubber parts, neat huh?

now digging suzuki silicone is a bit tricky since suzuki is using silicone that still holds like hell after 15years! damn!

now the tricky part, drilling with 1mm then spreading it with 2mm, after that im making threads in 3 steps, (threading tool with 3 steps)

using M3 screws with zinc so that solder will catch on it. i couldnt find M3 screws copper so theese will do.
    be sure to test solder on them!

ok now screws are in, some grinding and afterwards fine watersanding. soldering wires and filling it with silicone, i used gasket silicone. place the sensor to its place under sprocker, and tighten everything, your work is done here! :bunny2

key in, contact, shifting gear, oh yes oh yes! (carl cox)
    how all this looks? here ya go
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXQCUGBlJvk"]Gear indicator testing - YouTube[/ame]

letting it dry for day and test ride

Hope i helped with this how-to, if anyone needs any help regarding this im here to help, feel free to ask!
    wish you good twisties, good grip and good weather! Take care!

p.s. please comment
    Last edited by FJCharlie; 10-18-2013, 03:59 PM.
    sigpic

Nice work and nice write-up

I've been meaning to visit Belgrade for ages, hopefully I can cross it off my list next year
    Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Wow that is super cool! Nice job!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Nice write up.

Comment

tnx guys, glad you like it
          admins feel free to rename thread to something else and make it sticky
          sigpic

Comment

Awesome Job, a gear indicator is something ive always wished my bike had

Comment

very nice job Charlie! will this set up work on all kats?
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                very nice job Charlie! will this set up work on all kats?
                it will work on any bike having this or similar sensor.
                if you look at picture where sensor is removed, theres a little ball, it moves in circles when you shift up or down, and there making contacts on sensor, the ball connects to it giving - voltage through it. pcb with diodes is acting as a coder + decoder for led display so it can display the number you need.
                factory you have contacts for neutral, 2nd and 3rd speed. 2nd and 3rd is for limitations of somekind since emissions are being checked in those 2 gears. i was told that removing that connector (2nd and 3rd gear is separated from neutral with 2 connectors-see picture above) you should have a bit more power, i never saw that power but i guess dyno could show acctual gain.

here is the schematics of contacts. (also in link i gave as my guide during building)
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Excellent job. I am impressed by your gear indicator work. I will give that a go sometime, and hope I get results close to as good as yours. Cheers!

-notten
                  http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Comment

I just dont know if the pre kats have that sensor?

Comment

I just dont know if the pre kats have that sensor?
                      No. We have to switch ours out for a different sensor IIRC.
                      First motorcycle - new project
                      1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

if i see right, same thing but 2nd and 3rd gear wires excluded, so more drilling for pre kat owners.
                        If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
                        Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
                        Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                        From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                        this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

This is the front sprocket on a 98+

pre 98

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        This...

Krey

pre has same sensor as post, so mistery solved, you can do the mod same way as me.
                        remember to have fun
                        Last edited by FJCharlie; 10-19-2013, 08:18 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

that's awesome, except id have no idea how to make the circuit setup like you did lol how much did it cost roughly? If you dont mind me askin.
                          Last edited by crazycraven420; 10-19-2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

that's awesome, except id have no idea how to make the circuit setup like you did lol how much did it cost roughly? If you dont mind me askin.
                            take a look at pictures i posted of sensor, youll see from one side should be connectors and other side is hole with spikes (in lack of propper words, sorry) those spikes represent positions of connectors, so youll drill in the middle of them, dont worry if spikes fall of during the drilling (few of those fell of to me too) on the other side (connectors side which contacts the small ball) the ball should have made a visible circle (again see photos i posted) all those will be your guide in making holes. again, see the schematics i posted afterwards to see which ones youre drilling and which one you dont (one spike must not be drilled).

no, dont mind at all
                            this is pretty cheap project.
                            electronics, if i recall, 35diodes that be around 30cents (euro) so say 35-40cents (dollar), resistors 7 i think they were like 20cents $, PCB board no idea, had one. but shouldn be expencive. LED display was 1$, solder and wires no clue, thats cheap here, like 1$ 5meters of solder wire, and i used lan cable wire for wiring (its 8 wires inside, perfect for this job).
                            mechanics, 1mm drill, 2mm drill both maybe 1$, screws were 10cents $, threading tools were like 6-7$, i had gasket silicone from before, i use it when doing mechanics on bike (valve adjustmenst etc). it costs lik 7-8$ and lasts like forever (2 years for now, still good).
                            so like i said, pretty cheap...

glad i could help

here, take a look, you wont be the first one to drill more holes
                            this was done on GS500
                            Last edited by FJCharlie; 10-19-2013, 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            sigpic

Comment

I really want to do this over the winter but am concerned with making the circuit board. Anyone know I If I purchased a universal motorcycle gear indicator kit like this would I be able to avoid that step? [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/331020778337?_trksid=m570.p2050601.l4763&_trkparms =ga1m%3DT12%26ga2m%3DT20%26ga3m%3DT0%26ga4m%3DT3"]Universal Digital LED Gear Indicator Motorcycle Display Shift Lever Sensor CTH | eBay[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X