X

Coil Mod Relay

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Mod Relay

I was looking at the how to posted by Black Peter and in it he said that he had to use to pieces of wire connected to one spot on the relay that went to both coils. I found this online

Would this allow me to run a wire from position 87 to one coil pack and from 87a to the other?

Also based on my understanding of what Black peter wrote

85 would be the ground
    86 would be one of the orange wires at the coil to activate the relay with the key in turned on
    30 would be power coming from the battery.

Can someone confirm this for me.

Thank you.

Also so as not to create another thread, I have a battery that I have to add distilled water to every so often. This last go around I waited about 4 months. I wound up adding roughly 5-8 mL to each cell of the batter. How many times can this be done before the battery is trash. I'm kinda thinking its time for a new one as it is. I've drained it a few times in the morning trying to start it. The bike gives me an issue in the morning but will start fine in the afternoon. The bike sounds as if the battery is almost drained however it starts up no problem in the afternoon as if it is fully charged. I live in FL so its not cold at all overnight or in the morning. Just a lot of dew everywhere.

Cleaning the carbs is on my to do list however it has to wait til I can purchase a manometer. The bike shop around the corner wants ~45 mins of pay to synch them if I cleaned them myself. Their rate is 75/hr, might as well buy the manometer and use multiple times down the road.

Thank you for your help

Originally posted by Hurdj2585 View Post
    I was looking at the how to posted by Black Peter and in it he said that he had to use to pieces of wire connected to one spot on the relay that went to both coils. I found this online

Would this allow me to run a wire from position 87 to one coil pack and from 87a to the other?

Also based on my understanding of what Black peter wrote

85 would be the ground
    86 would be one of the orange wires at the coil to activate the relay with the key in turned on
    30 would be power coming from the battery.

Can someone confirm this for me.

Thank you.

Also so as not to create another thread, I have a battery that I have to add distilled water to every so often. This last go around I waited about 4 months. I wound up adding roughly 5-8 mL to each cell of the batter. How many times can this be done before the battery is trash. I'm kinda thinking its time for a new one as it is. I've drained it a few times in the morning trying to start it. The bike gives me an issue in the morning but will start fine in the afternoon. The bike sounds as if the battery is almost drained however it starts up no problem in the afternoon as if it is fully charged. I live in FL so its not cold at all overnight or in the morning. Just a lot of dew everywhere.

Cleaning the carbs is on my to do list however it has to wait til I can purchase a manometer. The bike shop around the corner wants ~45 mins of pay to synch them if I cleaned them myself. Their rate is 75/hr, might as well buy the manometer and use multiple times down the road.

Thank you for your help
    The relay question.

yes, that is exactly correct. It's how I have my mod set up with a dual output (pretty much using the same relay.)

As for the battery... it's probably workable, but replacement would provide better performance.

Might I suggest you consider a maintenance free battery option though. The Sealed AGM batteries to start are in the $90 range, but less hassle.

Also though... the Lithium Ion batteries are amazing, and definitely worth the extra $. Those run in the $120-$160 range though, but I certainly love mine. They also have on avg much higher CCA ratings that make a huge improvement in starting.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The relay question.

yes, that is exactly correct. It's how I have my mod set up with a dual output (pretty much using the same relay.)

As for the battery... it's probably workable, but replacement would provide better performance.

Might I suggest you consider a maintenance free battery option though. The Sealed AGM batteries to start are in the $90 range, but less hassle.

Also though... the Lithium Ion batteries are amazing, and definitely worth the extra $. Those run in the $120-$160 range though, but I certainly love mine. They also have on avg much higher CCA ratings that make a huge improvement in starting.

Krey
      I saw a post of yours a couple days ago and am definitely interested in getting a Lithium Ion battery. Money is the biggest hurdle at the moment. So I have to prioritize, I really need to get the carbs cleaned and rejetted. When I first bought the bike I put K & N air filters on it thinking they would help the bike. After installing them the bike would bog down around 6k rpm. I took the bike to the shop around the corner and they told me I needed to jet the bike. They went to do that and the carbs were filthy according to them ~$600 later my bike is too running too rich. After reading on these forums I've come to realize that all the carbs needed were a good cleaning and stock filters back on.

Thanks for your quick answer Krey.

Comment

I'm not sure that I understand how the relay works. If you hook up 87 to one coil pack and 87a to the other doesn't the relay only send power to the 87 when in the "off" position and to 87a in the "on" position?

I'm planning on doing the coil relay mod (using black_peter's how-to) and just trying to make sure I understand exactly how it works.
        --

Comment

Originally posted by donlon101 View Post
          I'm not sure that I understand how the relay works. If you hook up 87 to one coil pack and 87a to the other doesn't the relay only send power to the 87 when in the "off" position and to 87a in the "on" position?

I'm planning on doing the coil relay mod (using black_peter's how-to) and just trying to make sure I understand exactly how it works.

Depends on the relay you purchase. There are multiple versions.

What you want for the coil relay is a dual output relay circuit. That means, when triggered, power is sent on both outputs. When not triggered, power is off to both outputs.

Looking back at that relay link now, It may do exactly as your thinking and my prior answer would have been wrong.

Locally you can find these relays to verify what they do at most automotive stores.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Have you tried cleaning all the connectors first?
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
            X