X

95 Kat 750 ignition help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Kat 750 ignition help

I do not have the key that fits it so i want to remove the switch and take it to either get a key made or some thing. I have looked in the service manuals and most of the threads and have found mulitple ways on how to remove the switch if it is on like a 600 or a newer model. So newb question do i take those 4 to what look like allen head nuts on the top? Are those the bolts with the loctite that every one talks about? Or do i have to go up through the bottom where my finger is pointing in the picture? Any advice would be much apperciated, Thanks.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Scotty43210 View Post
    I do not have the key that fits it so i want to remove the switch and take it to either get a key made or some thing. I have looked in the service manuals and most of the threads and have found mulitple ways on how to remove the switch if it is on like a 600 or a newer model. So newb question do i take those 4 to what look like allen head nuts on the top? Are those the bolts with the loctite that every one talks about? Or do i have to go up through the bottom where my finger is pointing in the picture? Any advice would be much apperciated, Thanks.

If it was easy, all you would need to do is remove the 2 bolts where your finger is pointing and it will drop right down.

I did say IF it was easy.

Those bolts are snap off safety bolts. If your not familiar with those... when installed the bolt head snaps off at a certain torque, so that you don't have a simple way to pull them back out. Thus less likely for easy removal in a theft situation.

So... to work on those, you need to do the following.

Disconnect the electrical plug for the ignition
    remove the pods on the bars or pull the handle bars out of the top triple.
    Take the large silver bolt out.
    Loosen the top fork clamps on either side.
    Lift the entire top triple up and off.

It should now be free of the bike.

Use a punch or a chisel to knock a center point in the top of the bolts you need to remove for the ignition.
    Use a drill and drill slowly. You want a 5mm bit (or very near aprox standard size).

As you drill down your removing the "head". As soon as the head pops and you have just the stud left, swap to the other screw.

Once you pop both heads on the screws, the ignition will slide right off. AT this point, the studs are clearly visible and have plenty of room for you to just twist them out by hand (most likely) or at least grab them now with pliers or vice grips.

I would suggest waiting on putting the triple back on until you mount the ignition back to it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks! Should not be that bad i've got nothing but time to work on it.
      You guys are life savers, always nice to have people who know what they are talking about.

Comment

mine came out without drilling

Comment

Working...
        X