X

Ignition issues!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition issues!

So im having trouble getting my bike to even run the starter. I bought my 92 Katana in February and have been slowing making progress on it since. The guy a bought it from rode it until November of last year so it hadn't sat for too long. We couldn't get it to start when I bought it from him and I've only gotten it to start once for me. It ran like sh*t but at least it fired up. It backfired a little bit and wouldn't hold an idle. It also wouldn't rev of 6,000 rpms. Now typically one would think that would be a carbonation problem. Well I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them but didn't rebuild them. Well now I have finally gotten them back on and the linkage together but havn't tuned them. Today was D-Day and sadly I hit another issue. While trying to start the bike I turned the key and hit the ignition. The starter turned for a couple seconds and then there was this click from the right side of the bike that sounded like some solenoid or circuit of some type flipped and I lost all power in the bike. I have a brand new battery so I know that isn't helping the issue. Any ideas? The bike was doing this when i got it too but it almost seems worse now. Hopefully I can get all these kinks worked out before I miss most of riding season!

sounds like the main fuse has popped! i would have a good look at the wiring before getting it to run. there must be a reason behind it blowing a fuse, its there to protect expensive components and the fault needs to be cured first or you'll get nowhere fast!
    sigpic

Comment

It was probably the main breaker, it is just ahead of the battery on the right. It will have a red dot on it. Push the dot to reset. +1 on finding the problem of over amping.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by ratrider View Post
        sounds like the main fuse has popped! i would have a good look at the wiring before getting it to run. there must be a reason behind it blowing a fuse, its there to protect expensive components and the fault needs to be cured first or you'll get nowhere fast!
        Its not the fuses I checked all of them and they're fine. I do however need to check the wiring of the bike before I ride it. I also cant get the clutch to work when I have been able to start it, the clutch wont engage in order for me to shift into first.

Comment

Originally posted by Tcandreas View Post
          Its not the fuses I checked all of them and they're fine. I do however need to check the wiring of the bike before I ride it. I also cant get the clutch to work when I have been able to start it, the clutch wont engage in order for me to shift into first.
          read the post above. Check the main breaker just ahead of the battery, at the tank.
          Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-30-2013, 12:35 AM.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            read the post above. Check the main breaker just ahead of the battery, at the tank.
            I found the red reset button that you said. I think the button is pushed in all the way and wont come out because it has 0 play in it. Im about to replace the solenoid today and see if that changes at all. Its started and run before.

5 minutes ago I went out just to ponder the bike. I pulled that main breaker out of the wiring harness and it sounded like it had something loose inside of it. Are they supposed to sound like that? I put it back in and it kept ticking and then out of nowhere the starter started turning and just like that it was gone again. Hmmmm very frustrating!
            Last edited by Tcandreas; 07-30-2013, 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I really hope you had your key in, the ignition on, and the starter button depressed when that happened.

If not - you have more problems than fuses or breakers

Comment

Jump the overload out and try again. Maybe a bad overload.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                X