X

Adding an aux power outlet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding an aux power outlet

I want to install an aux power outlet, like a car cigarette lighter, to charge my phone in my tank bag, which doubles as a GPS. Is it as simple as running a positive from the battery and a negative to the frame with an inline fuse? Or is more needed?

Originally posted by Greener View Post
    I want to install an aux power outlet, like a car cigarette lighter, to charge my phone in my tank bag, which doubles as a GPS. Is it as simple as running a positive from the battery and a negative to the frame with an inline fuse? Or is more needed?
    Use the auxilary power ports on the right side of your bike (behind tail fairing). If you wire straight to your battery, it will always stay on and will drain it.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie_93katana View Post
      Use the auxilary power ports on the right side of your bike (behind tail fairing). If you wire straight to your battery, it will always stay on and will drain it.
      Or... add in an auto relay to source power directly from the battery, but have it function on/off with the key switch.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yep. make sure you unplug it though when parked.
        its kinda odd how fars a battery can be drained charging s cell phone and couple gopro batteries lol
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Cool, thanks dudes!

Eddie, which is the aux power port?

Comment

I used a relay on my 03 600, our kats have an unused connection on the front right side. I think it's something that a fan hooks up to on the Cali model katana's. One wire runs to the powered connection from that to only run the aux power outlet when the key is on the on position.

When your putting the aux power port in, if your installing it in the fairing near the "dash" make sure it will allow you full range of motion with your handle bars when you have a device plugged it.
            Kyle

Comment

Cool, thanks dudes!

Eddie, which is the aux power port?
              Unscrew the plastic cover over your fusebox (under right tail fairing) and I believe there are positive and negative hold-down screws for wires

Comment

I would like to do this as well. Do you need a power converter?

Comment

Originally posted by Davetouy View Post
                  I would like to do this as well. Do you need a power converter?

Generally speaking, if you install a cig lighter connection, the lighter cord plugged into it works as the converter.

If you want to plug a forked prong device directly into the power system, you would need a power converter. (like.. plugging the hair drying directly into the bike for that wind blown hair look... )

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X