X

I think I fried the wirings 1984 gs650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I fried the wirings 1984 gs650

Alright so my uncle gave me his old 1984 suzuki gs650 katana. The thing hasn't been started for over 7 years and spent most of its day out in the canadian winters/summers so a lot of brutal changes of temperature. I changed the oil, took off the carb to clean it and then had the not so wise idea to try to jump start the bike using my car battery to see if the starter was working properly and if the pistons were moving in the cylinders. I didn't think about the huge amperage difference between my battery and a motorcycle one so when I tried starting the bike, nothing happened but then suddently some smoke started coming out of the headlight, and the grips of the handlebar, the rubber hose going through the choke (turn signals) and the start button are now all melted. Obviously I unplugged everything as fast as I could but could the wires still be good even if the rubber hose has melted? Could I try jumpstarting the bike using my 4wheeler battery instead? I'm not putting too much expectation on this bike since it hasnt run in so long and I'm extremely doubtful of my ability to put it back on the road so I just want to find a way to see if the pistons are not stuck in the cylinder and if the starter is working correctly. (I don't have a motorcycle battery to plug and test it with so that's why I ask if a 4wheeler battery would be correct)

Well nothing gets you moving faster than a little smoke or in your case
    a lot of smoke. If you haven't welded the wires together I think you could use the battery from the 4 wheeler . But first check all your wiring and you could pull all the plugs out to see if i'll turn over & its not seized up.
    Mystery oil down the cylinders & leave it for a day. Once had an old Yamaha
    xs1 650 and we worked on that bike for a week before we even tried to Start It. It sat outside for years and was a real basket case but we got it runninGood luck with this one.

Comment

here's a little update:
      I checked and there was a short with the wires in the rubber hose going to the flasher and horn, this is what burned down and caused smoke, the rest of the bike work (I see the green light when I switch to neutral, the kickstand light work, gears light work too, speedo, headlight, etc.) I tried jumpstart the bike with my 4wheeler battery this morning but nothing happen when I press the start button. I'd like to know if there is any way to bypass the starter to try to start the bike? I did soak the cylinders in oil and I'm ready to test to see if the internals move but the starter wont let me!

Comment

Working...
      X