X

No Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power

Just tried starting my 03 katana 600 up for spring and I lose all power. Battery was removed for winter and I put it on a trickle charge until it said it was good. When the key is not in, the clock works so I know the battery is good but when I turn the key, the clock dies and the bike will not start. I am not very knowledgeable with bikes. What are the first things I should check?

clean carbs,and new plugs,change oil,this fuel we use now a days is junk.it wont set over the winter without fule stablilizer

Comment

fuis box. make sure the conection to ur batery is strong. try jumping the bike

Comment

Did you have the battery on the trickle charger all winter or just prior to installing it? The clock won't pull a lot of power so a battery that is too weak to turn the starter will run the clock with no trouble. Try to have a load check done on the battery to ensure it's still good.

I've had bikes that the batteries would lose enough juice over a month that there was no way to bring them back with a charger. Had to buy a new battery even though the old one was only 6 months old.
        “If you don’t like change, you will like being irrelevant even less.”
        -Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

2002 DRZ400E
        1994 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by flipz34 View Post
          I've had bikes that the batteries would lose enough juice over a month that there was no way to bring them back with a charger. Had to buy a new battery even though the old one was only 6 months old.
          last time i bought a battery the guy tried to sell me one that came with a lifetime watenty. when ever they stoped working just bring them back and swap it for a new one. sadly they were sold out of them that day.

Comment

check the water level in the battery,mine was all over the place but once topped up it was fine. get a dvmeter check your volts & fuses and any loose grounds,but I suspect its the battery/

Comment

Fargokatana, change your battery mate. dont try jumping it because yeah, your bike may start or maybe it'll explode! sealed batteries dont like being jumped seriously.

Darwin, start by checking the right hand coil under the tank.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by darwin
                hi I have 2005 750 kat tac stopped working and loss power on 2 inner cylinders what can it be ps. not very good at typing
                Darwin start a new topic ,you are hijacking this one.

BTW sounds like a possible headgasket or coil pack problem..
                I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by flipz34 View Post
                  The clock won't pull a lot of power so a battery that is too weak to turn the starter will run the clock with no trouble
                  +1 running a digital clock and starting a motorcycle is not quite the same thing...
                  2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by FargoKatana View Post
                    Battery was removed for winter ....

When the key is not in, the clock works .....

...but when I turn the key, the clock dies
                    The connections are hooked up wrong somewhere and you have a hot grounding out when you turn the key on, killing power all around including to the clock.

If the clock goes out when you turn key on... something isn't hooked up right.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      The connections are hooked up wrong somewhere and you have a hot grounding out when you turn the key on, killing power all around including to the clock.

If the clock goes out when you turn key on... something isn't hooked up right.

Krey
                      Couldn't it be that the battery is so weak it will power the clock until you turn on the key and power goes to dash lights++, and that is enough to kill it completely?
                      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
                        Couldn't it be that the battery is so weak it will power the clock until you turn on the key and power goes to dash lights++, and that is enough to kill it completely?
                        theoretically I suppose so...

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

my moneys on a duff battery!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X