X

Key snapped in gas cap doh!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key snapped in gas cap doh!

Hi all I am newbie to this site so please bare with me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I was getting the bike ready for the summer yesterday and went to fill up with gas, and snapped the key in the gas cap.

I have seen a set on ebay for a 98 GSXF600, my question is will this fit my 99 GSXF750?

Look forward to hearing from fellow katriders soon.

Tom from the UK

Originally posted by Tommo-777 View Post
    Hi all I am newbie to this site so please bare with me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I was getting the bike ready for the summer yesterday and went to fill up with gas, and snapped the key in the gas cap.

I have seen a set on ebay for a 98 GSXF600, my question is will this fit my 99 GSXF750?

Look forward to hearing from fellow katriders soon.

Tom from the UK
    why not just buy a key blank and make a replacement key? Be a lot cheaper.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The buying pack that comes with the bike will have the key number and can be used to get one cut ,as I did on mine!
      I'm outa here

Comment

Were you able to get the broken piece out, or is it still stuck in there?
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Hi all thanks for the replies, unfortunately I am not able to get the other part of the key out, I do have the key number for a replacement but however can not remove the snapped part of the key.

Comment

A locksmith will have a broken key extractor. Have him remove the broken part and you should be good to go.

Comment

You could also remove the tumbler and get the key out that way pretty simple.

The entire cap needs disassembled and cleaned anyways, that's the most likely reason you have to use enough force to snap the key off.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I once used super glue on a small flat blade screwdriver and clay type stuff to hold it while the glue set.....if all else fails....
                I'm outa here

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                  mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Really simple to get the tumbler out.

Once it's out, it's really simple to remove any left over key parts inside.

You can use the tumbler /left over key parts at this point to make a new key with a key blank and a file.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

All,

Thank you for the replies, I have now got the snapped key out woohoo. I do not why but 1 part of the key was snapped in the gas cap lock and the other was in the ignition.

I used a strong paper clip straightened it out and put a tiny hook on the end. I got 1 part of the key of the gas cap and then thought where is the other part .

Done the same on the ignition and voila both parts out.

I have ordered a key from http://www.keysinthepost.com/ quite reasonable £7.99 with postage.

Comment

Working...
                    X