X

Speaker Install Boss MC300

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Install Boss MC300

Hey all! It's been a while since I've posted. I just received my set of Boss MC300 Motorcycle/ATV speakers. They have the amplifiers built into the speakers and have a max power output of 400W.

My question is, will the power system be able to handle speakers like these without any other accommodations?

My understanding is that the alternator puts out around 550W peak (I read in another thread). But the bike surely uses a good bit of this power.

Will I be able to run the speakers fine? Or might I need to get a capacitor to help out even though it uses power as well?

speaker wattage <> electrical output of the generator wattage
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I figured I would be fine since the instructions say to use a 5 amp fuse in series, so I assume it would or should never draw more than 5 amps.

I just want to be sure that a stock system can handle it.

I want to wire the speakers directly to the battery terminal, are there any disadvantages to doing this? It says to ground the negative but much easier to the terminal.

The mirror stems look to be a good place to mount them, I have no room on my bars... just need to put alot of padding between the stem and the speaker mounts.

I think 400W is the peak power usage of built in speaker/amp setup.

Comment

Originally posted by RWright View Post
        I want to wire the speakers directly to the battery terminal, are there any disadvantages to doing this?
        Apart from possibly draining your battery and risking looking foolish with some speakers mounted to a motorcycle? "Nah...you good, b-whah."
        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
        Semper Fi

Comment

But be judicious in your choice of music. Kids might think that you're the ice cream man.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Will the alternator still power it through the battery terminals?

Comment

Originally posted by RWright View Post
              Will the alternator still power it through the battery terminals?
              What is the alternators purpose, Yes it charges the battery.

Comment

it will cause more stress on your alternator in the long rung, and also dont leave your bike on too long otherwise your battery will die lol.

Comment

Speaker wattage is not related to amp draw of the alternator, you will be fine. watch how long you use it when the motor is not running.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks guys! I've got a little more confidence about installing it. I'll do it later today!

EDIT: I just got out and installed them, and they sound beautiful. I ran them on the battery for a while and didn't seem to take a toll on its stored energy so I guess I overestimated their power usage, thanks guys!

PS: They do look quite quirky in their current locations, but I'm an oddball like that.
                    Last edited by RWright; 03-07-2013, 01:40 PM. Reason: Installed Speakers

Comment

Working...
                    X