X

New spark plug wires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New spark plug wires?

I'm buying new plugs & wires. I'm buying the NGK CR9EIX Irdium plugs, however, what plug wires should I get? Is there a best or preferred brand/wire for the 1998 Katana 600?

Thanks!
    1998 Katana 600
    sigpic

I run stock stuff.. be REAL careful removing the clips that hold the plug wire to the coil... they break super easy... I ran the ngk iridium plugs for a week or so in my 750.. it didn't run well.. i put a fresh set of stock nkg's back in and have had no issues since.. good luck with them...
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
      I run stock stuff.. be REAL careful removing the clips that hold the plug wire to the coil... they break super easy... I ran the ngk iridium plugs for a week or so in my 750.. it didn't run well.. i put a fresh set of stock nkg's back in and have had no issues since.. good luck with them...

What he said ^
      I did the exact same thing with mine ..... stock, runs fantastic .....

Comment

i replaced my wires with generic 7mm stuff i think from my somewhat local motosport dealer/mall. I had some wires that just fell out of the plug boots and where all corroded. Gave me like a 6ft roll and I cut to length. I also used standard NGK plugs and mines been running great.
        1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
        fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
        55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
        R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
        Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Bummer, I just bought the Iridium ones. Wish I had known that before.

Do they have to be any special plug wires? Or just 7mm. Do the 8mm wires work?
          1998 Katana 600
          sigpic

Comment

Iridium plus work just fine.
            the plug design is the same only the metals and firing tip design are different and BETTER.

95% of the time people have problems after they change them has nothing to do with the plugs or if it is its because they did not test them first. I probably but 6-12 plugs a year that are no good out of the box (I buy my NGK by the 12 packs. )Its a fact NGK platinum plugs were the worst for out of the box no good. mostly due to the split insulator design.
            another big issue is loose or corroded wires at the plug cap or people not seating the caps on properly.
            Also its no big surprise most people dont know squat about jetting. An overly rich mixture on a plug that already run cooler can cause some issues. Iriduim plugs displace more heat then copper core plugs. Engine cyclinder head temps are reduced an noticable amout even in the same heat range.
            Many factors.... but ive never seen in all my years as a mechanic, an engine run poorly on an iriduim or any fine wire plug design and run better on copper core.

as for changing the wires use a hair dryer on the clips before you pry them off. Then tug the wire out once the clips are free. If you snap the clips a dab of silicone will help keep them in the coils. NGK copper core race wires will outlast the rest of the bike.
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I tend to not use the more expensive types of plugs mainly bc of the cost. I'd rather change out my standard plugs more often and take less of a hit on the wallet honestly. I just got new plugs for my daily driver an Oldsmobile 96 countless with a 3.1 v6 and theatre store said it came stock with iridium which I call bull on but that's what my dad said when he picked the plugs up. Cost me over 50$ for just plugs. Pulled the old ones out and sure enough they were copper standard ones. I knew iridium didn't come out that early. Car runs fine but it would run fine with 20$ plugs too.

Now I did plugs on my sisters 03 saturn ion and my dad got the E3 plugs that supposedly give you better performance and mpg and after I stuck them in the car had a noticeable miss at idle. I put the stock plugs back in and it ran fine. So i wont be getting E3 ever again. And the plugs were the right size/heat range etc for the application.

Plug wires were 7mm stock I think but I just got what the tech guy pulled out for me after looking up my bike. The wire was cheap at like 9$ for the 6 ft roll and it was sold copper core wire. Not sure if the 8mm will fit in the plug cap or coils.
              1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
              fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
              55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
              R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
              Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

I went with the Iridium plugs, and I just removed the caps from my wires (one almost fell off it was so corroded) and cut an inch off the end of my plug wires. Then I screwed the plug caps back onto the wire and it's running much better. I'm no longer having the battery drain issues I was before and the bike is turning over strong.

It still needs a shot of starting fluid every now and then though.
                1998 Katana 600
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X