X

New Battery/Ground issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Battery/Ground issue

I just replaced the battery in my 1990 750, and now nothing works. I hooked up the battery, and only the neutral indicator light and the oil pressure light works. From reading around, I believe the issue is a bad ground wire. There is a very short wire coming from the negative battery cable that I believe is (or used to be) the ground. I also think I know where it goes, but it won't reach. My work has a good electrical shop, and I was thinking I could just take some scrap wire from there and use it as a ground wire. Not sure if that's doable though. If it is, what gauge should it be?
    Attached Files

make sure that it the right battery, motorcycle batteries are not universal like the ones in cars. but try that if thats not it check ur fuses and wires,
    ***RX-7 ROTARY POWER***

Comment

I have that same battery in my bike. It's a bike battery.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Battery is good. Fuses Are good. From what I can tell the wires are good. I have no idea what the problem is. I give up.

Comment

Have you checked the main breaker? if you sparked the + terminal if may have tripped.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by TURRRDS View Post
            Battery is good.
            Define "good"... as in new out of the box or shows +12vdc on a meter?...

What does the battery meter with no load on it? then what does it meter when you turn the Ignition on?

The battery can hold a +12vdc charge and still be bad.. if the battery can't provide the amperage your not going to do much with it.
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

The battery is brand new. Took it straight from the box and installed. It says it didn't need charged, but after all the problems I have had I hooked it up to a charger anyways. Said it was fully charged right away. I checked the main breaker, but it isn't tripped. I havent checked anything with a multimeter yet. The only thing I did was remove the old battery and install the new one. Everything worked fine before, except that the engine wouldn't start. Battery was confirmed dead by Advance Auto Parts. I have no idea what to try next.

Comment

I'd take it down had have it load tested just to make sure...
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

It sounds like a ground issue.... Check your grounds and replace the short wire with a similar gauge wire.

Comment

There are 2 distinct groun leads crimped together and run off the negative battery post. A larger one, and a smaller one. The smaller one should go to a connector with in about 6". The smaller one is what grounds out most of the instrument pannel and lights. The larger one is for the starter (and possibly alternator).

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

how come the + terminal doesnt look like it fully clamped down ?
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

There are 2 distinct groun leads crimped together and run off the negative battery post. A larger one, and a smaller one. The smaller one should go to a connector with in about 6". The smaller one is what grounds out most of the instrument pannel and lights. The larger one is for the starter (and possibly alternator).

Sooo, thinking that it may have been an issue with how corroded and worn the wires were, I cut the wire an inch below the terminal connector and got a new wire to use as the ground. I don't recall seeing a third, smaller wire. I have a wire to use for it, just not sure where you're saying the grounds should go exactly. Would I just tie all 3 wires together, then connect the grounds wherever they go?
                        Attached Files

Comment

I think I figured it out. Found a random black wire coming from where the instrument panel. Plugged my ground wire in there, reattached the battery cables and I had lights and turn signals again. The starter worked again as well. Now to tape and grease the connections, reattach the fuel tank and I should be good to go. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X