X

first bike 93 katana 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first bike 93 katana 750

long story short i traded my civic that i bought for 600 for this 93 katana 750 the ONLY thing it needed the guy said was a carb cleaning and to get put back together.... RIIIIGHHTTT, anyway i did that, put it together no start, spliced jumped and soldered the kickstand safety finally got spark but still no start im pretty sure i put the carb hoses reversed for the air and fuel but i doubt it would keep it from starting if i used starting fluid to try starting it, their is a black plug near the spark plug wires that has 7 wires from the harness theirs one that is orange and red that when it plugs into the plug turns to a yellow green or solid yellow and goes absolutely no where i will get pics of this in the morning, also the bike was missing clutch pins/rods/shaft or whatever you want to call them... it has new spark plugs, just did an oil change, carbs are clean, anyone have any ideas? i will get the pics up asap, and if someone can give me a diagram or pic of how the carbs are suppose to be reinstalled and also the airbox i believe is the wrong one since the 2 middle boots are shorter then the outers and wont go on it. i just want to get this thing running already before summer and before my birthday next week lol. any and all help would be appreciated!

wiki the manual, use the katana wiki above to download it.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

i have it but it doesnt really show you exact pics of everything, i rather see an actual pic of someones to see how it goes you know?

Comment

Don't normally do this, but... How you comunicate on the forum will have a direct affect on how effective we can help you. If we can't understand clearly what all your trying to say, some key things can be over looked. That said, I'm not busting your balls, but I am saying your original post was almost filed under the "click the X and move on" because it hurt my head trying to decipher it. Capitalization, puncuation, and syntax/context make a big difference. Just keep that in mind.

That said, so that I could figure it out, I tried to "adjust" as best possible. Please let me know if something was changed to mean differently than what your intention was.

Originally posted by gregg1870 View Post
        Long story short; I traded my civic that I bought for $600 for this 93 katana 750. The ONLY thing it needed, the guy said, was a carb cleaning and to get put back together....

RIIIIGHHTTT! Anyway i did that. Put it together. No start.

Spliced, jumped and soldered the kickstand safety. Finally got spark but still no start. I'm pretty sure i put the carb hoses reversed for the air and fuel but i doubt it would keep it from starting if I used starting fluid to try starting it.
        Check out the wiki for hose connections...

Have you made sure your getting fuel into the carbs? What's your battery output? How many volts is your coils getting when the starter is turning over? Tell us what you have done for trouble shooting these possible issues to make sure it's not listed here.

There is a black plug near the spark plug wires that has 7 wires from the harness. There is one wire that is orange and red. When it connects into the plug, it turns to a yellow green or solid yellow and goes absolutely no where. I will get pics of this in the morning.
        The black plug is the conection point for the right side handle bar pod. This includes the starter button and kill switch.

Yellow or yellow and green wires are part of the saftey switches. Clutch saftey switch, side stand switch, so on. If the starter button works in turning the motor over, you probably have things bypassed correctly. The large yellow wire I'm pretty sure is just an auxillary connection.

Also the bike was missing clutch pins/rods/shaft or whatever you want to call them. It has new spark plugs. Just did an oil change. Carbs are clean. Anyone have any ideas?
        How did the carbs get "clean"? What was done and by whom?

I will get the pics up asap. Can someone give me a diagram or pic of how the carbs are suppose to be reinstalled?

Also the airbox I believe is the wrong one since the 2 middle boots are shorter then the outers and wont go on it.
        Take the air filter out of the airbox. Put the carbs engine side down on a flat table. Set the airbox on the ports. Reach inside the airbox and push the boots on. Tighten each clamp now holding the boot in the correct possition.

If things are a little out of sorts now due to warpage or something like that, heat from the engine will eventually get things more properly settled.

Put the carbs/airbox back on the bike as one unit. Remove the tank brace to do this easily.

Carbs are simple to instal... Plug them onto the engine side boots and tighten the clamps. They have a very clear lip on the inside of the boots, and a ring around those ends of the carbs that lip sits in. It normally is pretty obvious if they are seated all the way on. See the link above again for the connections. Make sure the clamps are not in the way of the throttle assembly.

I just want to get this thing running already before summer and before my birthday next week lol. Any and all help would be appreciated!

I'm not convinced your carbs are clean just yet, but that said... I think you need to do the following trouble shooting and narrow down where the problem is.

Spark? Confirmed plug wires are not arcing and are properly pluged into the right cylinder? 11v+ at the coils when starter is turning over?

Fuel? All 4 bowls are getting fuel, and at the proper level? Nothing is leaking or over filling?

Carbs? Are they really clean? What/how was this done?

Why was the bike parked and dissassembled in the first place?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Don't normally do this, but... How you comunicate on the forum will have a direct affect on how effective we can help you. If we can't understand clearly what all your trying to say, some key things can be over looked. That said, I'm not busting your balls, but I am saying your original post was almost filed under the "click the X and move on" because it hurt my head trying to decipher it. Capitalization, puncuation, and syntax/context make a big difference. Just keep that in mind.

That said, so that I could figure it out, I tried to "adjust" as best possible. Please let me know if something was changed to mean differently than what your intention was.

Check out the wiki for hose connections...

Have you made sure your getting fuel into the carbs? What's your battery output? How many volts is your coils getting when the starter is turning over? Tell us what you have done for trouble shooting these possible issues to make sure it's not listed here.

The black plug is the conection point for the right side handle bar pod. This includes the starter button and kill switch.

Yellow or yellow and green wires are part of the saftey switches. Clutch saftey switch, side stand switch, so on. If the starter button works in turning the motor over, you probably have things bypassed correctly. The large yellow wire I'm pretty sure is just an auxillary connection.

How did the carbs get "clean"? What was done and by whom?

Take the air filter out of the airbox. Put the carbs engine side down on a flat table. Set the airbox on the ports. Reach inside the airbox and push the boots on. Tighten each clamp now holding the boot in the correct possition.

If things are a little out of sorts now due to warpage or something like that, heat from the engine will eventually get things more properly settled.

Put the carbs/airbox back on the bike as one unit. Remove the tank brace to do this easily.

Carbs are simple to instal... Plug them onto the engine side boots and tighten the clamps. They have a very clear lip on the inside of the boots, and a ring around those ends of the carbs that lip sits in. It normally is pretty obvious if they are seated all the way on. See the link above again for the connections. Make sure the clamps are not in the way of the throttle assembly.

I'm not convinced your carbs are clean just yet, but that said... I think you need to do the following trouble shooting and narrow down where the problem is.

Spark? Confirmed plug wires are not arcing and are properly pluged into the right cylinder? 11v+ at the coils when starter is turning over?

Fuel? All 4 bowls are getting fuel, and at the proper level? Nothing is leaking or over filling?

Carbs? Are they really clean? What/how was this done?

Why was the bike parked and dissassembled in the first place?

Krey
          Thanks for the reply, and I know I was typing it at 1 in the morning, I just reread what i wrote, and the guy I got it from said he took it apart to get to the carbs, I never owned a bike so I had no idea what was missing until I actually went to put the clutch cable on and discovered the rods missing. I will update on everything and upload pics as soon as I get off work. I will do some more trouble shooting this weekend when I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
          X