X

Electrical dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical dead

I was about 10 mins into a ride yesterday, stopped at a light, and my 04 750 died. I was able to get one restart out of it, but it died again after i took it off the centre stand.

Tested the battery and it needed to be replaced, so a new one is charging now. After I get it started again, what else should I be testing (alternator, stator?) and how?

Thanks all!

Originally posted by Greener View Post
    I was about 10 mins into a ride yesterday, stopped at a light, and my 04 750 died. I was able to get one restart out of it, but it died again after i took it off the centre stand.

Tested the battery and it needed to be replaced, so a new one is charging now. After I get it started again, what else should I be testing (alternator, stator?) and how?

Thanks all!

No stator, just alternator with internal voltage regulator.

Test by running the bike and checking the voltage at the battery with a volt meter. (service manual has the specifics... )

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks!

So the new battery is charged, showing 12.8 V, but when I try to start, all I hear is the solenoid click once...?

Comment

What is the battery voltage when you press the start button? If it's too low, the battery is toast and it's time for a new one.

Comment

Thanks!

So the new battery is charged, showing 12.8 V, but when I try to start, all I hear is the solenoid click once...?

Brand new battery should read 13.4v if fully charged.

Do a load test, make sure new battery is good (check voltage when you press the start button and hold it... if it drops very much at all, you have a problem with the new battery). Yes, it's possible to get a bad new battery.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just had the battery tested and:

Voltage: 12.81
            Measured: 283 CCA
            Rated: YTX9-BS
            Temperature: 27C (80F)

The machine says its good...

I tried bypassing the starter relay, and no change. Had a voltmeter on during an attempt at start, no real change, it stayed above 12.3V the whole time... Why would the solenoid click on once if the battery is good?

Comment

Just had the battery tested and:

Voltage: 12.81
              Measured: 283 CCA
              Rated: YTX9-BS
              Temperature: 27C (80F)

The machine says its good...

I tried bypassing the starter relay, and no change. Had a voltmeter on during an attempt at start, no real change, it stayed above 12.3V the whole time... Why would the solenoid click on once if the battery is good?
              If you did that properly, then the starter is shot and needs rebuilt or replaced.

Comment

I held a screwdriver between the pos and neg on the starter relay..? Is that right?

Comment

Fixed, it was the battery then the starter. Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                  X