X

Battery Drained

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Drained

So, my bike had been in my garage, not started or driven for about a week and when I went out last night the battery was completely dead. Not enough juice to even turn her over.

A few hours on the trickle charger, and she started fine. This is the first time I have had this problem, but I am assuming this is why the PO included the charger with her.

What should I check first?

Thanks!
    Christine
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

I twice made the mistake of putting the key in the "Park" setting on my '89 and drained my battery that way. Perhaps you might have made the same error. Personally, I've found that once a battery has been drained I've lost all faith in it.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Check the voltage at the battery and the coils
      1. Key off
      2. Key on
      3. Cranking
      4. Running

Comment

I had this same problem with my battery after it would sit for even a day. Check the voltage at the battery for sure. Likely, if the PO let the battery drain once or twice (Park setting or some other reason) then the battery is gone. It will need to be replaced. How old is the battery?
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

Okay, thanks guys.

I don't think it was the "Park" setting, but I could be wrong.

I'll get the voltage checked and see how that goes. I was more concerned that the LED's were the cause of the problem. I can replace the battery if need be, but I'd like to chase down the cause so I don't have the same issue with the new one too.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks
          Christine

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

Comment

battery drain

we sometimes have issues with battery drain when led and accessories are added to bikes.....remove neg cable from bvattery(need full charge on battery to do this),put test light between neg post and cable....does it light up?if so start pulling fuses till light goes out.You can use a multimeter in place of the test light,which can show ya just how much(if any) of a drain you have.Mind you,there will be SOME drain...but I would guess less than 60milliamps should be okay.depends on vehicle.Good Luck Fellow Canuck!

Comment

That's called searching for parasitic drain.

I'd suspect it's probably a bad battery or alternator first though.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

battery drain

I agree w/ya steve,but we got guys over here with so many accessories pounded into their elec.systems....hence the more the possibility of battery failure...gotta take into consideration that kinda mess out there and identify it as a suspect, yes?
                Peace.Spencer
                :bunny2

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  That's called searching for parasitic drain.

I'd suspect it's probably a bad battery or alternator first though.
                  +1 if you haven't made any changes to the bike and now the battery is dead in a weak, its probably time to replace the battery. Lead Acid batteries suffer from sulfation over time:

Battery sulfation takes place when a Lead Acid Battery discharges. The lead from the plates combines with the electrolyte (dilute sulphuric acid) to make lead sulfate. When the battery is recharged this process is reversed however, some of the lead sulphate will crystalise on the lead plates. The deeper the battery is discharged, the more the lead sulphate is likely to crystalise acting as an insulator and reducing the plate area in contact with electrolyte. Over time this build up of lead sulphate crystals will kill the battery.

You can purchase special chargers that are used to desulfate a battery, basically rejuvinating it. But those chargers can cost as much or more than than a new battery.

I have successfully desulfated an Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) lead acid battery recently that was having the same issues as the OP stated...dead in a week. It has now held a charge without a tender for two months.
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Seems to have been the LED's? There was a small draw (from the transmitter?) that didn't seem to cause a problem when the bike was being started often, but as soon as it sat long enough, it was enough to kill it. I disconnected the negative for the transmitter and let the bike sit for a week, then she fired up no problem. My solution is just to connect the trickle charger whenever I park it, and leave the bike on that in the garage. Is that okay?
                    Christine

sigpic

Comment

If you use a good battery charger like a Battery Tender it will certainly extend the life of the battery
                      If it has LEDs they should be switched with the key to prevent that type of thing from happening

I also try to make it a habit to check the "P" lights when I get off the bike
                      its very easy to accidently put the switch in that position
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                        If you use a good battery charger like a Battery Tender it will certainly extend the life of the battery
                        If it has LEDs they should be switched with the key to prevent that type of thing from happening

I also try to make it a habit to check the "P" lights when I get off the bike
                        its very easy to accidently put the switch in that position
                        +1

electrical accessories should be turned off with the key. if you can trace the power wire that is draining with the bike off, all you need to do is hook that wire to a relay that is connected to a power on with key (lights or orange wire at switch..)
                        if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                          +1

electrical accessories should be turned off with the key. if you can trace the power wire that is draining with the bike off, all you need to do is hook that wire to a relay that is connected to a power on with key (lights or orange wire at switch..)

+1.

An auto relay switch can be simply added into the existing accessory setup very easily and with minimal cost. The relay is only like $7 or less at any auto store.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

In keeping with the theme of the bike, I was actually thinking about adding a missile style launch switch to the existing LED set up, in hopes that it would prevent this kind of thing from happening.

I want to put on new gauges too, so maybe that will be a winter project and I can incorporate the new switch into the dash
                            Attached Files
                            Christine

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X