Ignition???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition???

Hello Gents,

A simple question for some of you??? My 91 Kat 750; I started getting somebackfiring and ruff riding recently so I changed my fuel filters and changed out my fuel hoping it was something simple but now I can't get the bike to fire up, once in a while it has a large backfire but that's it...What controls the spark? Do you think my coils have gone bad, (I believe these are the original coils) or is there a relay or something that could be causing my coils not to spark right??? Please help

Thanks,
    Lt. George Hicks, D-8
    Anti Terrorism Officer Deputy Commander
    Hazardous Operations Division
    God Bless the USA

new spark plugs and drain the fuel bowls

I would leave the spark plugs out overnight because it sounds like you flooded it

check the crankcase for signs of fuel in case the carbs need to be cleaned and the let fuel run into the motor

I ould also put a 1 amp automatic charge on the battery to get the battery back up to a full charge
    Last edited by rexazz2; 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM.
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

It has actually been sitting for days...I even took tha battery in for a recharge and still nothing, I will take the plugs out and clean them up though.
      Lt. George Hicks, D-8
      God Bless the USA

Comment

[QUOTE=hicks100;2181212...91 Kat 750..... so I changed my fuel filters...[/QUOTE]

There shouldn't be any filters in-line on pre-kats.. just the one in the tank.

Are you getting fuel?
        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by hicks100 View Post
          It has actually been sitting for days...I even took tha battery in for a recharge and still nothing, I will take the plugs out and clean them up though.
          i would be willing to bet they are soaked/wet

Comment

Plugs were wet.. Yes I am getting fuel...After drying the plugs I plugged one into each plug wire and never saw a spark from any wire? With the plug attached shouldn't I see a spark?
            Lt. George Hicks, D-8
            God Bless the USA

Comment

Plugs were wet.. Yes I am getting fuel...After drying the plugs I plugged one into each plug wire and never saw a spark from any wire? With the plug attached shouldn't I see a spark?
              Only if the plug is properly grounded on a non painted frame or engine part.

Comment

those plugs are pretty much EF'd

you have two options
                1 replace plugs with new ones, of coarse this is best or 2. burn the crud off the old plugs with a propane torch , just dont hold the torch in one spot to long you looking for more of a gradual heat up without turning the tip cherry red

the reason you are probably not seeing any spark with those plugs is because the said crud will arc before it sparks where it should

Comment

NGK plugs are one of the hardest plugs to foul due to their 1 peice insulator design and contruction.

If you have fouled a plug, replace it.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

This is what I did when starting her for this season! Had to replace the plugs. A trip to Canadian tire and 42 dollars later i was back in business.

I tried to clean the plugs up with steal wool and butane tourch but no go .

Comment

Well I cleaned the plugs and eventually got it started, BUT now I'm still getting some backfires especially when I let off the throtle... It's idleing fine, not performing well with throtle response??? Any ideas...
                      Lt. George Hicks, D-8
                      God Bless the USA

Comment

1.) New plugs
                        2.) Remove fuel filters
                        3.) Replace float needles
                        4.) Profit
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well I just put new fuel filters on it and rebuilt the carbs last year and replaced all of the float needles, So I'm gonna go with A.) Plugs, even though my NGK's are only around a year old...
                          Lt. George Hicks, D-8
                          God Bless the USA

Comment

Well I just put new fuel filters on it and rebuilt the carbs last year and replaced all of the float needles, So I'm gonna go with A.) Plugs, even though my NGK's are only around a year old...
                            After you replace the plugs, and it still doesnt run right, remove the fuel filters.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                            X