X

Tempermental Starter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempermental Starter

I have a 96 katana and it was recently put back together. I didn't have it running before.

The starter will sometimes work and sometimes will not.

Things that seem to help are turning off the ignition and turning back on.

Its in neutral, the kickstand is down and the clutch is pulled in with choke on.

Otherwise I have no idea.

Get a new starter, or find a shop to rebuild the one you've got. 600 and 750 are different so make sure you get the right one.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

spray the crap out of the starter button with WD40
      my 04 would give me greif every once and awhile
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Starters are pretty simple to rebuild. Usually just carbon on the armature.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
          Starters are pretty simple to rebuild. Usually just carbon on the armature.
          Hmm, so pulling it apart and cleaning with brake cleaner?

I see there are rebuild kits out there... Damn, I was really hoping to ride this weekend.
          Last edited by Akathepriest; 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

There's always push starting.
            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Thats true, but kats are cold blooded beasts, you gotta get it the first try or you will be too tired to do again.

Comment

You mentioned that turning the ignition on and off seems to help. Perhaps it's actually a bad or high resistance connection in the ignition switch itself rather than a problem with the starter?
                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
                  You mentioned that turning the ignition on and off seems to help. Perhaps it's actually a bad or high resistance connection in the ignition switch itself rather than a problem with the starter?
                  Or a faulty/sticky relay....

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    Or a faulty/sticky relay....
                    Kinda what I was thinking, had to replace my buddy's starter relay in his 08 1000RR last week, the symptoms were pretty similar.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well, I have gotten it started a few times.

The ignition could just be me overthinking it, but it will start sometimes and sometimes I press the button and nothing happens.

When the starter cranks, it cranks. No half heartedness, it seems like a switch issue. Where is the relay? btw, I took the handgrip off and sprayed it and it didn't seem to help.

Comment

I found it!!! Yes!!! The clutch sensor (right on the clutch lever) took it off and there was a lot of grease and dust build up over the two contacts, cleaned it off with some wd-40 and it starts every single time I press that button. Thank you KR!

Comment

Originally posted by Akathepriest View Post
                          I found it!!! Yes!!! The clutch sensor (right on the clutch lever) took it off and there was a lot of grease and dust build up over the two contacts, cleaned it off with some wd-40 and it starts every single time I press that button. Thank you KR!

Comment

Working...
                          X