X

Totally stumped by elect problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally stumped by elect problem

I have a 93' Cali 750 Katana. My problem is nothing works! New battery, good fuses, new starter solenoid, good coils/plugs. Turn key to on position, nuetral and oil eluminate but nothing else. No head light, brake light doesn't respond from either the hand lever or foot, blinkers are not lighting up, horn.. nada, and the gauge lights not on.
    Press the start button and nothing there either. I copletely stripped the harness and checked each wire, switch and relay with multimeter. From what I can tell all switches and connections are functional.

Can anyone here shed some light or give any ideas what to check. I am totally out of ideas.

It's a good thing there's no cliffs in Fl, it would have almost deffinatelly gone over today...

Thank you to all who read and respond. I want to ride so bad and this is really bum'n me out.

Welcome.

just taking a stab in the dark here, but what about your ignition switch? Maybe bad or a broken wire to the switch? Also, have you checked your kickstand switch, clutch safety switch? Either of those would prevent the bike from starting...although would have nothing to do with the head, tail or turn signal issue.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Bad ground. Check the one coming off the - terminal that goes to the frame.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Like Kevin said, check the small ground wire coming off the battery. Battery fumes will corrode that really fast if the battery vent tube comes loose. If that's OK then try pulling every one of your fuses out and re-seating them. I had the same problem on the side of the road one time with my '95 750 and that turned out to be the cure.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Make sure that small ground wire is also grounded correctly to the engine or frame on the other end.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
            Welcome.

just taking a stab in the dark here, but what about your ignition switch? Maybe bad or a broken wire to the switch? Also, have you checked your kickstand switch, clutch safety switch? Either of those would prevent the bike from starting...although would have nothing to do with the head, tail or turn signal issue.

Thanks, like I said though, I did check all the connections and switches. I did find 2 burnt out plugs/connectors.

The head light socket (connects wire to the buld) was completely metled and the greent connector for the right hand controls to the harness had 2 positions melted. Looks as though there was a short at some time. I replcaced both of those and checked for further damage to others and nothing.

Grounds all look good and no signs of corrosion. I also replace all 4 fuses, three 10A and one 25A, with brand new ones.

I would understand it being a ground issue if nothing worked, but again, the oil and neutral lights to come on when key's in on position.

Comment

Do you measure a power drainage when you have the key turned in off position? you need an ampere meter to check this.
              If this is the case, then start disconnecting the fuses until the drainage is isolated.

Another thing you could try is to bypass the ignition key switch. Does the main ignition relay switch on when you turn the key?
              2004 gsxf 750.
              "A beer never comes alone"

Comment

There's one thing common to everything that's not working for you and that's the small ground wire coming off the battery. Possible that's fried.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by OrlandoKAT View Post
                  Thanks, like I said though, I did check all the connections and switches. I did find 2 burnt out plugs/connectors.

The head light socket (connects wire to the buld) was completely metled and the greent connector for the right hand controls to the harness had 2 positions melted. Looks as though there was a short at some time. I replcaced both of those and checked for further damage to others and nothing.

Grounds all look good and no signs of corrosion. I also replace all 4 fuses, three 10A and one 25A, with brand new ones.

I would understand it being a ground issue if nothing worked, but again, the oil and neutral lights to come on when key's in on position.
                  You have 2 ground leads. Generally speaking, there is a larger one and a smaller one.

The larger one primarly grounds the starter, but also a couple of other things like the oil light setup.

The smaller one controls the lights (turn signals, headlights, stop lights) and the pod controls, like the starter button to relay circuit.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, you all were right. I jumped the small ground wire and cleaned all the connections for the large wire and that fixed all my issues.

Thanks to all who responded and gave suggestions.
                    I will be riding this afternoon, and it's supposed to be good weather here in Orlando too.

Comment

Working...
                    X