Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

TL:DR not an HID newbie - OEM headlight relay blew?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TL:DR not an HID newbie - OEM headlight relay blew?

Hey all-- new member here.

I'll preface my problem with this: I know and understand the risks of putting an HID bulb into a stock reflector housing and light scatter issues; so we can get that problem out of the way right now. I work for a company that imports aftermarket projectors and LED tails and whatnot for cars, so I put together an HID setup for myself out of junk, because, well, why not.

I have a 1990 Suzuki Katana GSX-600F, and what I've done is simply install the average automotive-type slim-digital ballast HID setup with a 6000k HID bulb. I did not hack up any of the factory harness to do this and AFAIK the harness is intact. I wanted the light only to come on when I felt like it rather than instant-on with the key for maximum starting voltage.

I had done the swap and all seemed honky dori with the light, it worked fine all night as I did my tests, but then when I fired up the light the next morning, it clicked on for a moment and then shut off. There is now no power at all to my headlight in either high or low beam position on the switch and both my headlight bulb and fuse are still in good order. I'm betting if i applied direct current to the ballast it'd fire up.

I think there may be a headlight relay of some sort and that a single HID has blown it in place of the H4 bulb, where would I find it, or is there some other issue that I'm missing? I'm not sure if it's related but it seems that when it went it may have taken my cluster illumination with it-- the previous owner wired up these cheesy LEDs around the gaugesets and those aren't coming on now and went out at the same time as the headlight, for whatever clues that may offer.

Thanks for having me here on KR and look forward to being around a lot in the future.

- Black & Blue
    Last edited by black&blue; 02-14-2012, 05:31 PM.
    Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
    Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
    2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

The fuse will blow before the relay. Have you tested the headlight plug for voltage? If not, you need to start there.

Comment

Headlight plug has no voltage, plugging the H4 back in didn't do anything. thx for the prompt reply.

I'm avail as: [email protected] on MSN for r/t chat about this cos I can't ride at night til I figure this out
      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
        Headlight plug has no voltage, plugging the H4 back in didn't do anything. thx for the prompt reply.

I'm avail as: [email protected] on MSN for r/t chat about this cos I can't ride at night til I figure this out
        According to this there is no headlight relay. I know it's labeled as 93-97 750 but for the most part all Kats are the same. I think it's time you took apart the switch cluster on the handlebar and cleaned it up. It may have shorted out.

Comment

I'm betting the switch cluster on the handlebar went then-- what are typical symptoms of the switch cluster failing?

Comment

In this case, it's Occams Razor. You're sure it's not the ballast, the fuse is good, so it has to be the switch or a burnt wire. Typically it doesn't fail, it just gets dirty and needs some love. Especially in a 22 year old bike.

Comment

You may have burned out a wire in the harness. The stock wiring isn't designed to handle the draw from the ballast firing up.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

@Steves: that's what I was most afraid of.

I should note that the blue high beam indicator lamp no longer works either.

Looks like I'll be making my own headlight and running lamp harness, then...

Update 2/20/2012:
                that's what i ended up doing. I used an extra fog light harness and relay set from work and made my own HID harness. The running lights and instrumentation was just the instrument cluster fuse. Now we have power up there and replaced the mostly missing 74 sockets with three extra 194 LED sockets I had lying around. The cluster illumination looked really clean and I finally finished peeling the last of that fake carbon fiber sticker crap that the previous owner had stuck onto the black cluster bezel.

Works like a charm.
                Also replaced the **** battery in there with the one it had come with - a duralast one - and the bike runs and starts far easier, too.
                Last edited by black&blue; 02-20-2012, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X