X

Projector wiring question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector wiring question

Alright, as some of you all know I recently made the jump to a projector headlight. Now from my understanding it's bad for these lights to be cut on and off. Right now with the way its wired, it fires up when I turn the key, cuts off breifly while cranking, and fires back up once the bike is running. I would like to wire it up to come on only when the bike is running.

What I was thinking about doing was running a normally open relay and using the oil sensor to trigger the relay to turn on the light.

No oil pressure = no light
    Oil pressure = headlight

But then it dawned on me. Sometime between then time I push the starter button and when the bike is running, there will be oil pressure. So the headlight could try and fire before I want it to.

So my questions for you all is:

1) Does the oil pressure switch close the circuit when it see's pressure or once it reaches a certain determined pressure

2) If the oil sensor just closes the circuit with any pressure then how would you all recomend to wire the light to come on only once the bike is running. Maybe a time delay relay?

Thanks

A time delay relay is the cleanest solution.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The relay seems like a good idea, so I decided to go over and look at the mouser catalog... I don't really see anything that looks like a good solution.

Also what would trigger the time delay? The key? What if you shut the bike off from the kill switch?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ideally I would still use the oil pressure sensor to trigger the time delay relay. That way the headlight would only be on when the bike is running and cut off when the engine does. If I put the relay in the ignition, then the relay would be kind of pointless as your pointing out.

Finding these relays seems to be rather tricky/ borderline impossible, at least for this application. Searched last night and am searching now but I have only found 2 options so far. And one of them is questionable as I see a standby current consumption # and it's not sealed. So, I'm favoring the second link but I plan to search a little more later today.

This is one relay with adjustable time delay, this is the one that has the standby current usage
        wolstentech.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wolstentech.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This is the other one, preset at 10 seconds delay, sealed unit, and no mention of standby current consumption

Another question is where to put the relay. How things are wired now, the projector runs on a seporate harness for its power and it gets the High/Low signals for switching from the stock headlight plug. Should I put the relay in the stock lighting circuit right after the fuse or in the new harness, after its fuse and before the ballast. I was thinking there would be less current draw with it in the stock circuit as thats just a signal circuit now

Comment

Oil pressure may not be a good choice... I was thinking kill switch with a time delay....

But if you can figure it out, why not just run it off the starting circuit some how instead of the oil light... then there's no worries about the head lights going off randomly.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ok, I see where your coming from about the oil pressure sensor. Actaully, I like the idea of using the kill switch better because all the wires I would need to get to, are right there under the tank.

Now I just need the relay. I have ruled out the first option. Looking back at it, it reads 1-2 weeks after order is placed before it will be shipped. Ouch!

Also found these relays from Hella, but I cant find any more info except what it gives or an local distributor. So that may be out.

Would the relay in the second link be fine for what I am doing? Anyone know of a better one?

Comment

Here's an idea that would take two relays.

Use the starter switch to start the time delay, and use a hold circuit off the kill switch or ignition switch.

So, starter triggers time delay, then time delay circuit triggers a hold circuit off the ignition switch or kill switch.

Did I just overcomplicate things?

Comment

Lol, you just confused the you know what outa me

Comment

Working...
                X