Need HELP big time!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need HELP big time!!!

Hey there,

So, I have a 95 katana 600. So far I have replaced the wiring harness, battery,coils, plug, wires, alternator/stator, both switchs on handle bars, clutch cable, choke cable, and silenoid. After all that, it worked for about a day. tried to take it on a test drive, it drove about twice around the block and then it locked up and died. Problem is...wont stay charged AND when the bike is completely off and key out the dash lights stay on unless i unplug the battery or the lights...I thought i replaced everything that had to do with the charging system but still cant figure out what is going on...not to mention it takes a lot of juice to get it to start when it does or i have to hook it up to cables. I put the battery on a trickle charger at night but when i go to start it it runs the battery down before it will start. It tries to start, just wont turn over. PLEASE HELP!!! Its my only transportation right now.

bad ignition switch?
    sigpic

Comment

changed that too, but thanks...

Comment

You will need to provide some additional background information before anyone will be able to venture an educated guess. Why did you replace the harness? Original toast? What did you replace it with? Same year? Lights remaining on with the key off is a sign of crossed wires somewhere. When you do attempt to start the bike, does the headlight go out, to allow full power to the starter? Disconnect one of the battery cables, and connect an ammeter acorss the circuit - is there a big amperage bleed with everything off? The more detailed you can be regarding what and why certain items have been r & r'd, will help narrow the trouble spot.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Have the lights always done that ? With mine if the battery wasn't great it had trouble starting. The engine locked up ?
          sigpic

RIP CP
          50th Anniv R6
          95 Katana 600
          http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

wiring harness was same year 95, it was used, bought it off ebay...the head light stays on when i start it never goes out... the dash lights never did that before until i changed the harness... I am not sure what a ammeter is but i do have a digital multimeter, will that work? And what i mean by locked up was i was driving and the brakes locked up on me and the engine died and the tires felt stuck but the wheel bearings are new as well...

Comment

I think you have more than one problem going on at the same time. So I'd like to get a bit more information.
              1- Wiring harness- are you sure you got a 95 600 harness and not one off a 750? Does it look exactly like your old one? What was wrong with the old one?
              2-Is the battery new? Have you had it tested?
              3-Did it lock up and then die or die and then lock up? Will it shift at all? Will it roll with the clutch held in? Have you checked to see if the brakes are releasing?
              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

when the engine dies if it's in gear it's going to act like brakes locked until you clutch it
                sigpic

Comment

Brakes locking up....by chance did you get Ebay aftermarket levers? There are known issues with those.

Comment

Check for spark yet? What do the plugs look like?
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Post some pics.
                      sigpic

RIP CP
                      50th Anniv R6
                      95 Katana 600
                      http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

It sounds like either a bad battery, or a bad alternator.

You'll need to hook up a multi-meter to find out for certain.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Not sure if this is the case for the posts, but on my '89 there was a Park setting on the ignition and I made the mistake of thinking it was simply shut off..... it ended up draining my battery, and once completely drained, putting it on a charger never helped.
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I know for sure my 06 has the "Park" function Nino - BTDT, and am always checking to make sure I don't overshoot "Lock" to the "Park" position.
                            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

the old wiring harness had some issues with the rear blinker lights they wouldnt blink, the new is messing with the ones in the front, i have to keep them unconnected in order to keep the battery charged bc the dash lights drain the battery. Before my bike would crank but not start, i knew it had no spark in the coils so i replaced those along with the plug wires boots and plugs...I figured it would solve my problems by replacing the entire wiring harness as well. Also i figured if it was an ignition issue i may as well change the starter assmebly on the handle bars with the run/off switch... I noticed my choke was laso not connected to the carbs so, i reconnected that bar thing that moves when u use the choke and i replace the choke cable....Then i replaced the alternator/ stator/ rectifier (whatever u call it) and the silenoid... the wiring harness i got off ebay had one thing different and that was to one of the fuse thingys (i think thats what they are) that are located in front of the battery housing close to the ignitor box sooo i chopped the one off the old one and put it on the new one... mind you i am not a professional by all means i basically went wire for wire...there is however one red wire on the new harness that i did not have on the old one...but the old harness it looked like someone had already rigged things up in places, and that i didnt want to mess with hence me deciding to get a different one lol. the battery is new and is the 3rd new one in 3 months...and it locked up then died and the tire seemed stuck. and i was having problem getting it back into neutral but it went after i pb blasted it lol.

the brake levers i didnt replace...

oh and for some reason where i put the key in it stopped turning all the way to the lock position...
                              Last edited by sexysicilianaussie83; 01-03-2012, 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X