X

Battery fill

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery fill

I have to bought a new battery but need to know how far to fill? Its a yuasa

Assuming that it is this type of battery, as opposed to the solid black one they offer (which come with pre measured tubes of acid), there is an upper red line on the battery case that is the fill line. Don't be insulted by this, but you are going to use battery acid as opposed to distilled water for the initial fill, yes?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by expvet; 10-23-2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

And, for goodness sake, wear some goggles and either old clothes or an apron when you fill it. Just a little bit of splash back or splatter from the air being pushed out of those fill holes can really mess up a pair of jeans.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Had too fill my old one. Its fully charged but wont start the bike. Got the battery checked and its bad. So yes I did use the acid to fill the old one to try to give it one last hope but I geuss the battery is junk!

Comment

Originally posted by scarface View Post
          Had too fill my old one. Its fully charged but wont start the bike. Got the battery checked and its bad. So yes I did use the acid to fill the old one to try to give it one last hope but I geuss the battery is junk!
          you put acid in a battery only once. if it was low you should have added distilled water.[has no minerals]my latest battery is a gel type that doesn't require topping up. the cells have an absorbing material.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

So how do I fill the new one I ordered acid or distilled water?

Im not going to lie im trying to save a buck. Ive gone threw so many batteries it aint even funny. So now the plan is to buy another one fill and charge my self. any info would be good.
            Last edited by scarface; 10-26-2011, 07:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

you might take the new one you have to a battery store or auto parts store and buy just the acid.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

ok that was the plan. And refill with distilled water not more acid?

Comment

new unfilled batteries take acid. previously filled batteries take distilled water. if it's a newer gel type don't top up. acid is absorbed in the media between the plates.

Comment

Have you already bought the battery, if not a sealed battery is usually the same or a little more in price but much less maintenance and hassle without sacrificing performance. The fill it yourself type is pretty rare these days.

Comment

+1 for sealed battery
                      Chrome Project Part 1
                      http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

I bought a battery about a year and a half ago and it came with a sealed top and second container of acid.

All I had to do was invert the acid container and stab it into the battery top.

Once all the acid drained into the battery I but on the maintenance caps.

That battery lasted all of 15 months. I put the original 6+ year old factory battery back in and it works like a charm.
                        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

If you want to see a battery comparison with some insane killer tests check out this link
                          http://boulevardowners.com/cafe/inde...topicID=157926
                          They really run these batteries though a gauntlet of some over the top tests. The eventual winner is a Motobatt. I picked one up for my 750 Kat and it is rock solid. I highly recommend it. I took my '02 750 Kat after 3 months in storage and had to start it cold without using the choke due to a broken choke cable. The battery was not charged during the 3 months stored, it took about 20 attempts but it finally started up. When I got it home I hooked it up to a Schumacher computer smart charger and it still had 72% charge in it.

Comment

Working...
                          X