X

Gas gauge help...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas gauge help...

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction...

I just got my 88 katana 600 back on the road, past safety and is running very well.

I can't get my gas gauge to work and i'm driving a lot and really was looking forward to a working gas gauge.

I checked the two electrical wires that come out from under the tank and made sure they were plugged in and pushed all the way into the connectors they plug into....that's not the problem...everything behind the headlight is plugged in tight and all the other gauges work.

I looked on bikebandit and they show a fuel relay?..?.. is there something i am missing here???

What else do i need to check to troubleshoot this?

Check resistance between the 2parts leads off the fuel gushed and make sure it is still good. The fuller the tank the more voltage should pass between them. Empty tank equals no voltage.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Where do you see this fuel relay? That's the second time you've said this, but I don't see it at BikeBandit.

EDIT: NM, I found it. Now to find out what it does.
      Last edited by 05RedKat600; 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
        Where do you see this fuel relay? That's the second time you've said this, but I don't see it at BikeBandit.

EDIT: NM, I found it. Now to find out what it does.
        i think it must be a print error or something other relay...

i'll check with my volt meter and see if I get any readings from the two wires that come out from the tank. If i get something at the wires but nothing at the gauge then what?

and if the wires don't produce voltage with the tank not empty?

Comment

Originally posted by girlykat View Post
          i think it must be a print error or something other relay...

i'll check with my volt meter and see if I get any readings from the two wires that come out from the tank. If i get something at the wires but nothing at the gauge then what?

and if the wires don't produce voltage with the tank not empty?
          After reviewing a schematic, and comparing to BikeBandit.com, I am SORELY tempted to say that what they have labeled as a fuel relay is actually the sidestand relay. I could be very mistaken, but I cannot find a fuel relay mentioned in any Pre-kat wiring schematic.

Now, to test the wires, unhook them and measure resistance. Set your meter to say 200-2000 Ohms and see if you get a reading across the two wires coming from the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            After reviewing a schematic, and comparing to BikeBandit.com, I am SORELY tempted to say that what they have labeled as a fuel relay is actually the sidestand relay. I could be very mistaken, but I cannot find a fuel relay mentioned in any Pre-kat wiring schematic.

Now, to test the wires, unhook them and measure resistance. Set your meter to say 200-2000 Ohms and see if you get a reading across the two wires coming from the tank.
            Thanks RedKat, always great advice!

I will check it out later tonight when i'm off work.

Comment

Working...
            X