X

Ignition switch wiring / mods

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition switch wiring / mods

Ok, so when I pull the GSXF apart this winter for a project............

one of the things planed is to junk the OE ignition switch and relocate
    a after market one like this ........

Question is , the OE switch has 4 wires IIRC and parking lights which I don't want to keep , is it posible to use such a simple switch with and wire / splice it to the Kats wiring ?
    Toys.........
    1985 LT250 - modified
    1991 GSX750F - Doner for Bobber project
    2004 GSXR 1000 - stockish
    2000 Turbo Busa - very modified - now sold

Originally posted by ofb View Post
    Ok, so when I pull the GSXF apart this winter for a project............

one of the things planed is to junk the OE ignition switch and relocate
    a after market one like this ........

Question is , the OE switch has 4 wires IIRC and parking lights which I don't want to keep , is it posible to use such a simple switch with and wire / splice it to the Kats wiring ?

I don't believe the pre kat has the anti theft configuration in the switch, so it should work. A simple test if the bike is in running condition now would be to bypass the OEM switch with alligator clips and a toggle switch to see.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

A simple test if the bike is in running condition now would be to bypass the OEM switch with alligator clips and a toggle switch to see.
      ........what a good ideal

I just had another look at the wiring diagram in the book ........do you think the switch would go between the Red & Orange wire
      Toys.........
      1985 LT250 - modified

Comment

I for get the colors off hand but the jumper wires go side by side on the plug.
        So it should look something like this
        jumper
        terminal_^_terminal
        jumper
        terminal_^_terminal
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by ofb View Post
          ........what a good ideal

I just had another look at the wiring diagram in the book ........do you think the switch would go between the Red & Orange wire

You can do a simple voltage check on the wires to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it was red is power in (constant hot) and Orange was power out (hot only when key on).

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Why not just relocate the stock ignition. There is enough wire in the loom to move it back about mid bike. To go any further all you have to do is extend two of the wires.

Yeah Red comes straight from the Starter relay and the Orange is the power exiting
            Last edited by 92GSX750; 09-05-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

thanks guys

yes I will test before doing anything silly:mrgreen: , and relocating the OE switch would take up to much room & not be as easy as drilling 1 hole and fitting small compact on/off ignition
              Toys.........
              1985 LT250 - modified

Comment

Ahh, Lucas Electrical.. the Prince of Darkness...LOL
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                X