X

2002 Katana 750 Sand Rail

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Katana 750 Sand Rail

I bought a wrecked (2002 I believe) Katana 750 with the intention of using the motor for my sand rail. (Had the motor running on the bike) I spent all day tearing into the harness (and looking at the wiring diagrams) and am having some trouble. I want to run the motor with the minimum amount of electronics possible. What should I leave wired up? Has anyone seen anybody do anything similar? May help me get started. Any help is appreciated.

Here is a quick picture of what I got my self into: http://i.imgur.com/5lt2O.jpg
    Sorry about the blurriness ahead of time.

Also wanted to mention again that I want to run the motor with no gauge cluster, no lights and anything else that is not absolutely necessary. Thanks for any and all help in advance.
    Last edited by tekkski; 08-22-2011, 09:29 PM.

All you will need is the Ign ON circuit and the Start circuit... go to the Wiki page and download the manual for that year and look at what you need to keep from the harness and ditch the rest.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Sounds like an interesting project. Jims got it pretty well summed up, but I'd make sure that includes anything on the charge/Alt side also and may retain the tach, oil light, and neutral lights. love to see more pictures.
      Richard
      96 Suzuki GSX750F
      89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
      05 Yamaha WR450F
      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like these guys have you on the right track. Keep us updated as I am interested to see how it comes together.
        Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

VW IRS rear end...nice...what are you going to use for final drive/diff to run the cv shafts?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

That looks like a fun project, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by atremblay View Post
              That looks like a fun project, good luck!
              +1
              In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Sorry for not getting back to you guys. Dune season is right around the corner and I needed to get the dirt bike ready so I have a toy to ride as it does not look like I'll have this wrapped up any time soon. That is unless i get lucky with the wiring.

To answer:
                "VW IRS rear end...nice...what are you going to use for final drive/diff to run the cv shafts?"

Honestly I don't have anything set in stone. I will most likely fab something up and see how it goes. Maybe some pillow blocks or a bearing carrier with a shaft and sprocket between them. Not quite sure how I will get it all to mate up to the vw cv's. I figure maybe cut and weld some drive flanges to the axle.

As you probably noticed by now I am taking things as they come. I will post more pictures if as I progress through the build. Bare with me as it will be slow going. I am doing more learning than building at this point.

Now for the most important:

I took some time to go through the diagram. I highlited everything I think I need to keep. The thing circled in red i'm not sure about.... anyone? Secondly I noticed the neutral switch and it looks like I may be able to just wire the two together and call it a day? They are the only lines in red on the diagram. What do you think? Please let me know if there is anything highlited that does not NEED to be there or if I missed anything. I will be eternally greatful and promise to post many pictures in return.

Here is a link to the diagram.

As always I thank you for any and all help in advance.

Comment

Working...
                X