Headlight and turn signal problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight and turn signal problem

(Cross-posted to GTA Motorcycles)

Bike: 2005 Katana 600 (Canada), about 32,000 km.

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the battery. Things were fine for a couple of days, but then they went wrong.

When I turn the bike on, the left turn signal comes on both front and back. The high beam light on the IP also comes on, but none of the front lights turn on, regardless of hi/lo switch position. Everything else on the IP is fine. The left turn signal will still blink using the switch or the emergency flasher. Right turn signal and brake lights are normal. Bike starts and runs fine. I've taken fairings and tank off to see if any wires were pulled but there's nothing obvious.

I looked at the wiring diagram, and I can tell the left turn signal and headlights have something to do with each other, but that's the limit of my comprehension. I can also tell by looking at the wiring that the right turn signal comes off the main wire before the rest of them, so the problem seems to be upstream of this point. The yellow and black connectors seem to be attached fine. I'll attach pictures of what I think are the relevant areas to see if you guys can figure something out from them, and any other suggestions are appreciated. Oh yeah, I also checked the fuses and they're fine.

Have u checked the switches yet
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Double check your battery connections are tight, and you have a good ground.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Double check your battery connections are tight, and you have a good ground.

Krey
        I undid and redid the battery connectors. No change. Is there a specific way to check grounding? The battery is holding charge well when the bike is off.

Comment

I had this exact problem last week on my Kat.

Check the large white connector sitting there on top of your headlight, I found the ground wires shorting out in the connector and that is what was causing the problem on mine.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I agree, this sounds like a ground problem. When you lose a ground, the circuit will find, or try to find a way TO ground. That is usually when you start to see things light up that should not, and others that should, not...

When you re-connected your battery, are you absolutely sure that you reconnect everything? maybe a connection near the battery came loose, or a wire was never put back on...
            "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Thanks guys. It's good to have an idea of what it might be. I'll have to wait till the weekend to work on it but hopefully sufficient fiddling with those connectors will fix it.

By the way ZukiFred, were you just able to put the wires back into their proper place or did you have to replace the connector?

Comment

ZukiFred, that connector indeed was off. I cleaned it with contact cleaner, and then some dielectric grease finished it up. It's been running fine for weeks now.

Comment

Hey guys i found i am having the same problem, except my connector looks like it has been burnt much worse than yours, what is the best place you would recommend on finding one of those connector kits?

Comment

An update - the problem started happening again a few months ago. The permanent solution is to cut the two problem wires (one on each connector) and solder/splice them back together.

Comment

Working...
                    X