X

Neutral Light won't turn on in neutral

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Light won't turn on in neutral

I have a 1993 GSX750F. When I bought the bike it would start fine, but upon coming to a stop it would die when i pulled in the clutch. I ran seafoam through the gas but after about 15 minutes the bike shut off and wouldn't start.

Now the neutral light doesn't even come on when the bike's in neutral. The only way for the ignition button to work is to press in the kickstand saftey switch by hand, but it still doesn't want to start. I've just pulled the old spark plugs which are in bad shape and am going to install the new ones. Not sure though what this neutral light problem is though.

Don't have a particular question, but if this sounds at all familiar I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
    stjohnny

Originally posted by stjohnny View Post
    I have a 1993 GSX750F. When I bought the bike it would start fine, but upon coming to a stop it would die when i pulled in the clutch. I ran seafoam through the gas but after about 15 minutes the bike shut off and wouldn't start.

Now the neutral light doesn't even come on when the bike's in neutral. The only way for the ignition button to work is to press in the kickstand saftey switch by hand, but it still doesn't want to start. I've just pulled the old spark plugs which are in bad shape and am going to install the new ones. Not sure though what this neutral light problem is though.

Don't have a particular question, but if this sounds at all familiar I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
    stjohnny
    Check your neutral light sensor (it's located under the front sprocket cover), the connection for it, and the wire is not broken/cut.

If you have a bad sensor, I have a good one for sale.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks kreylyn.

Comment

i was unable to locate this sensor, i only see the kickstand switch. where exactly do you mean "under the front sprocket cover"? i removed the front sprocket cover and still found nothing. before you ask, no i do not have a manual but i have one ordered

Comment

i was unable to locate this sensor, i only see the kickstand switch. where exactly do you mean "under the front sprocket cover"? i removed the front sprocket cover and still found nothing. before you ask, no i do not have a manual but i have one ordered

When you remove the front sprocket cover, there will be a single black wire to goes to a plastic "puck" looking thing, 2 phillips screws holding it on.

That's the sensor, and the wire should be traced to make sure it's not cut or disconnected.

Be aware that oil can flow out of that hole once it is removed, unless someone is leaning the bike to the right side.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

odd. i am not seeing this puck. there is however an unaccounted-for wire with some kind of amber looking plastic tip with a round metal dot...

Comment

odd. i am not seeing this puck. there is however an unaccounted-for wire with some kind of amber looking plastic tip with a round metal dot...

This...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

yeah i've see it on ebay but haven't seen it on my bike...i will take a photo of what i'm looking at when i get home this evening. where does it screw into? the back of the cover itself?

Comment

yeah i've see it on ebay but haven't seen it on my bike...i will take a photo of what i'm looking at when i get home this evening. where does it screw into? the back of the cover itself?

No, to the case of the engine.

Directly under the sprocket.

Here is a pic... you can see the wire going to the puck under the sprocket in this.

Krey

93 750 Kat

Comment

can you post a photo of the puck actually bolted on so i can see exactly where the puck itself screws into? thanks very much for the help.

Comment

can you post a photo of the puck actually bolted on so i can see exactly where the puck itself screws into? thanks very much for the help.

Um... the prior posting that shows the sprocket and chain i posted just above... the sensor is mounted to the engine under it.

That is the reason I posted the pic.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

huh...ok. the photo of the sensor by itself doesn't look like the photo of the sprocket. the wire under the sprocket is leading into something that looks much smaller than the puck...wish i could see the puck mounted. apologies for being so ignorant. i really just can't see the puck in this photo

Comment

how many things on that pic have a wire attached to it

Comment

Does this help?
                            Attached Files

2006 Katana 750
                            2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
                            2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

ok thanks. just didn't seem like it was the same size. i'm not looking at my bike right now which is why i'm sure i'm confused. i will take a look this evening. thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X