X

Ignition problem with light on.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition problem with light on.

When the bike is cold, can't start with the front light on, I disconnect it, and starts smoothly, any suggestions, don't want to put a relay to disconnect light when starter is on.

Tks

Sounds like the battery either isn't fully charged or isn't taking a full charge. May be time to replace it.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The reason it's doing that is the light drops the volts by about 1-1.2 when it's turned on, to the coils.

Add to that additional voltage drops at various connections, the inition switch, etc... (old wire will start to cause voltage drops and increased resistance)... and eventually you have the problem you have now. It's close enough to run and start when warm, but cold starts are a pain!

I did the relay mod to the coils which by passes this problem and routes full battery voltage to the coils. It was simple to do, cheap to do, and did not require any actual modifcations to the stock harnes. It's very simple to remove and plug right back up stock even if the relay stopped working out on the road (which I doubt will happen).

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
      X