X

Hids

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hids

So I wanna ad some HIDS to my kat, for both look and saftey reason. I love the way a nice 5500k light looks compared to the halogens.

Now, can I get any H4 HID kit and it will work? Also from my understanding, I will loose the highbeam and will only have lows. Is that also true? So would this kit work on my 06 kat? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_7522wt_1165)
    New Carbs and new tires makes it hard to take it easy on the throttle....

With that kit you'll lose the ability to switch between high and low beam. It won't matter though because you'll be blinding oncoming traffic either way and it won't matter how you mess with the adjusters.

If you want to do HID, do it right. Pick up a HID bixenon projector and install it inside the stock headlight bucket. Then you use a standard d2s bulb and wire the stock high beam wire to the projector high/low beam solenoid. (Power the HID ballast directly from the battery through a relay.)
    See here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...nglasses+night
    or here:
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I understand the issue of blinding people, but would I even need hi beams using the single HID kit i posted? Im not a fan of having to cut my parts up to fit the projectors in especially when I am probably going to be selling the bike in a year or so.

Comment

You miss the point. Even with the headlight pointed down, the light from a HID bulb isn't focused properly by a reflector made for a halogen (filament type) bulb. You'd have to point the headlight pretty much straight down to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. That's why it's illegal to put an HID bulb in your headlight.

The only way to convert your headlight to HID is to install a projector. It uses a lens and a differently shaped reflector to focus the light. I can understand your reluctance to cut up your existing headlight. I tend to feel the same way. That's why when I did the conversion I bought a spare headlight and did the conversion on that.

If you want to do it that way let me know. I can sell you my original for $25 and we live close enough we could easily make the connection to hand it off in person. Matter of fact, I'll be in Langhorn tomorrow afternoon.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I understand now. I thought you were just saying the light would be super bright. I will have to let you know about the headlight lens, and I actually live a town over from Langhorne. I dont think I have the funds currently to buy the lens and the bulbs and everything right now. I will definitely let you know though. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            You miss the point. Even with the headlight pointed down, the light from a HID bulb isn't focused properly by a reflector made for a halogen (filament type) bulb. You'd have to point the headlight pretty much straight down to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. That's why it's illegal to put an HID bulb in your headlight.

The only way to convert your headlight to HID is to install a projector. It uses a lens and a differently shaped reflector to focus the light. I can understand your reluctance to cut up your existing headlight. I tend to feel the same way. That's why when I did the conversion I bought a spare headlight and did the conversion on that.

If you want to do it that way let me know. I can sell you my original for $25 and we live close enough we could easily make the connection to hand it off in person. Matter of fact, I'll be in Langhorn tomorrow afternoon.
            Thank god there is still some intelligence left in this world.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjorge3442 View Post
              ...I dont think I have the funds currently to buy the lens and the bulbs and everything right now. I will definitely let you know though. Thanks for the help
              PM sent

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Thank god there is still some intelligence left in this world.
                .. it seems to be in short supply these days doesn't it?

W-B FTW....
                Last edited by GSXFJim; 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM.
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Would a kit like this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-H4...Q5fAccessories
                  Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Don't know if I'd trust them or not. I get really nervous about ordering anything from Hong Kong or China. I know everything's made there, I just like having someone on this side of the ocean if there's a problem.

As for design, they look like they ought to fit. I don't see any obvious way to attach them, though. It's possible they're made to mount in the holders for the stock bulbs in which case, they'd be really easy to install. I'd ask before committing any $$, though.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Seen those before.. I have considered picking up a set and seeing how they work.. they might work out well..
                      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

ddmtuning.com

end of discussion
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                        X