X

Why wont it start!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why wont it start!!!

Ok so I have been working on this 89 Kat 1100. I've changed the plugs, filter, brakes, fork seals and fixed the problem with the clutch sensors so that it turns over... any way so I am now at the point of trying to get it started and for some reason it will not start... It started for a minute when first together and then couldn' get it started... Tried some starter fluid this evening and it tried to start so I am thinking something maybe with the fuel pepcock or vacuum lines... not real sure... this is my first carbed bike so yeah... if someone could help me out that would be great maybe a pic up under the tank of the fuel line routing or something. I am sure it is something simple but apparently not simple enough for me lol. thanks everyone for your help.

Jeffrey

Originally posted by racer_smokm1 View Post
    Ok so I have been working on this 89 Kat 1100. I've changed the plugs, filter, brakes, fork seals and fixed the problem with the clutch sensors so that it turns over... any way so I am now at the point of trying to get it started and for some reason it will not start... It started for a minute when first together and then couldn' get it started... Tried some starter fluid this evening and it tried to start so I am thinking something maybe with the fuel pepcock or vacuum lines... not real sure... this is my first carbed bike so yeah... if someone could help me out that would be great maybe a pic up under the tank of the fuel line routing or something. I am sure it is something simple but apparently not simple enough for me lol. thanks everyone for your help.

Jeffrey

Have the carbs been cleaned?

Check out the wiki for examples of hose connections to the tanks. (link above)

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You sure you have the fuel cutoff in the right position?

Comment

If the 1100 is anything like the 750, there is a vacuum line running from the petcock down to the right side of the rightmost carb. That line keeps the petcock open when it is in the on position. If you are not running in the prime position, make sure the line is not leaking. If you want to test that it's working, take off one of the fuel lines from the tank while the petcock is in the on position (not prime or off) and crank the engine. If everything is working properly, fuel will only flow while you are cranking.

I also find that when my bike has been sitting for long enough that the bowls have dried up, it is easiest to start by pulling the vacuum hose I mentioned off and applying a light suction to get fuel to flow into the bowls. Might be a problem with my petcock, but prime doesn't seem to work as well. The bike won't start until there's enough fuel in the bowls.

Comment

What he said except that there's no OFF position. The 1100 petcock has a PRIME and an ON position. When it's turned to ON fuel will only flow when there's vacuum on the line from the top of the #4 carb. In PRIME the petcock allows fuel to flow freely.

One possible gotcha is that the 1100 is supposed to have metal coils around the fuel lines to keep them from kinking. If those are missing then it's possible you've got a kinked fuel line.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Is the 2 position petcock unique to 1100s?

Comment

Yes.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
              X