X

What on earth is this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What on earth is this?

When I changed out the battery (the PO let it die then sit for a year), I found this attached to the terminals, and nothing else. It looks like a relay but what could it possibly be for?
    All of the electronics seem to work, and I can't find any modifications. I'm truly stumped.
    Attached Files

It looks like a trickle charge connector... if you're referring to the part that has the small piece of black electrical tape over it.... (used for storing the bike over a period of time). It is a quick disconnect that hooks directly to the battery and allows the trickle charger to be plugged in quickly whenever needed without having to attach the clamps (another attachement) to the battery terminals. Most people will hook this up if they have a hard battery to get to, and run the quick connection end down the back of the undertail and have it poke out in a place that is not noticable, but easy to get to to plug the bike in for storage.

Which kinda makes it ironic that the original owner had this part but let the battery die and sit..... totally defeats the purpose... lol
    Last edited by RedKat91; 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM.
    Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

That right there my friend is one of the finest electrobobs Ive ever did see.

x2 on the charger.
      2005 Gsx600f- My baby
      1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
      Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

It wasn't the trickle charger hook up, unless he had two. When I replaced the battery so we could do some troubleshooting, I didn't put the trickle charger hook ups back on. But the damn thing was connected to the battery, had the two leads covered in electrical tape, and long enough wires to connect to the headlights/instrument cluster.
        So, yes, it's still ironic that he had the hook ups and it died anyway.

Comment

crazy PO crud?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            crazy PO crud?
            Without a doubt. I tracked the wires a bit more and I found a split. So there are two ends to this thing. I'm thinking maybe turn signals? The turn signals worked (before I took the fairings off), and the original wiring to them looks fine. Is there any reason someone would run another set of wires (and perhaps the black mystery box is a relay?) for turn signals when the originals work?

Comment

Perhaps the flasher unit for an alarm system of some sort?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It looks like an aftermarket strobe flasher for some other lights maybe.
                1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

Hid or aux lights? black box could be a ballast. black box could be a receiver for a cell phone or blue tooth for an auto start or something... check to see if the box has an FCC marking on it that says the device complies with yada yada.

WHATS IN THE BOX!!??
                  WHATS IN THE BOX!??
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

The sticker has been ripped off/too faded to tell. I'm leaning towards the 'aftermarket flasher' theory, what with the two leads near the front of the bike. I'm thinking of actually ripping the box open to see if that would give us a clue. Anyone know a quick way to tell if it's aftermarket flashers?

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                      The sticker has been ripped off/too faded to tell. I'm leaning towards the 'aftermarket flasher' theory, what with the two leads near the front of the bike. I'm thinking of actually ripping the box open to see if that would give us a clue. Anyone know a quick way to tell if it's aftermarket flashers?
                      Take a pic of the internal circuits.
                      1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                      1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                      Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

It could be a transformer or voltage adapter of some sort. Going from 12V to ?V to power a cell phone or satellite radio or some kind of electronic gizmo.

The top of the three looks like a USB plug.

that's my guess.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

That is the power box for doing power wheelies, but seems to be missing the turbo boost switch..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Flux capacitor...be careful at 88 MPH!
                            2004 GSX750F

Comment

that is a cheap flasher(by cheap i mean not a name brand flasher)...I used to sell emergency equipment for emergency vehicles(lights, sirens, and flashers for head and tail lights. the PO could have possibly had the turn signals set up to flash for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X