Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Alarm Wiring - Ground wire to kill ignition (pre 98)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm Wiring - Ground wire to kill ignition (pre 98)

Hello guys!. My Kat is still in pieces, seems the paint job is taking longer than expected... meanwhile I'm onto doing some extra maintenance on the bike.
    I've bought an alarm this morning from a factory located in Argentina (x-28.com), they have decent prices and decent products, so far they didn't let me down.
    I was taking a look at the alarm wiring diagram and (as usual) there are three wires to hook up to the ignition (sensor that key is set to ignition, and two wires for the ignition cut). However, the harness has the 3 wires for the alarm internal relay (the common, normal closed and normal open). I know how to attach an extra +30A relay to the ignition and which wires to cut (thanks to the electric diagrams here!), but I'm reluctant to do this sort of modifications if I can avoid them.

So I was wondering, is there any wire I can hook up this one to kill the bike in my 1991 Kat? I was thinking in the side stand switch (ground signal as per the wiring diagram - have to check if its normal open or normal closed), but won't do it if the bike isn't in gear... still good as "the borrowers" won't be able to ride... so if the CDI doesn't have any option, I'll attach it to the switch and when set to gear it will stall (hopefully... no need of extra pieces as it already has a relay)
    Thanks for your time! regards

Originally posted by ext3 View Post
    Hello guys!. My Kat is still in pieces, seems the paint job is taking longer than expected... meanwhile I'm onto doing some extra maintenance on the bike.
    I've bought an alarm this morning from a factory located in Argentina (x-28.com), they have decent prices and decent products, so far they didn't let me down.
    I was taking a look at the alarm wiring diagram and (as usual) there are three wires to hook up to the ignition (sensor that key is set to ignition, and two wires for the ignition cut). However, the harness has the 3 wires for the alarm internal relay (the common, normal closed and normal open). I know how to attach an extra +30A relay to the ignition and which wires to cut (thanks to the electric diagrams here!), but I'm reluctant to do this sort of modifications if I can avoid them.

So I was wondering, is there any wire I can hook up this one to kill the bike in my 1991 Kat? I was thinking in the side stand switch (ground signal as per the wiring diagram - have to check if its normal open or normal closed), but won't do it if the bike isn't in gear... still good as "the borrowers" won't be able to ride... so if the CDI doesn't have any option, I'll attach it to the switch and when set to gear it will stall (hopefully... no need of extra pieces as it already has a relay)
    Thanks for your time! regards

Kill switch?... pretty sure that is open /on and closed/ground/off

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Kill switch?... pretty sure that is open /on and closed/ground/off

Krey
      You mean the Stop switch in the handlebar? as per what I see, It seems that there might be some more than desired current on it, it's feeding both coils and the CDI with no relay... I'll maybe have to find the side stand relay and cut the coil ground (after the sidestand switch & diodes) to have it prevent engine running without side stand and no gear in...
      At least that is what I'm understanding from here:

http://home.grandecom.net/~pyds/gall...ng%2088-92.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ext3 View Post
        You mean the Stop switch in the handlebar? as per what I see, It seems that there might be some more than desired current on it, it's feeding both coils and the CDI with no relay... I'll maybe have to find the side stand relay and cut the coil ground (after the sidestand switch & diodes) to have it prevent engine running without side stand and no gear in...
        At least that is what I'm understanding from here:

http://home.grandecom.net/~pyds/gall...ng%2088-92.jpg

Orange/w is constant "12v" power... it's just a hot off the battery that the ICM relays when the switch is turned on. Ignition on, coils go hot on that wire. No pulse on those wires, pulse to the coils from the ICM is the black or white wires.

Kill switch grounds out that connection, killing power to the coils as it will run through the switch before it will go through the coils.

All of the safety switches are going to run 12v through them.

Krey
        Last edited by Kreylyn; 04-28-2011, 03:44 PM.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks dude! now I'm understanding the diagram better... hard to see and don't have the bike to multimeter-test (it's at the shop ). Any idea how many amps on those wires? just don't wanna blow the internal relay on the alarm!

Comment

Working...
          X