X

Anybody know why this would happen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know why this would happen?

Sorry for the camera phone pic... I've been trying to track down my charging system problem and why it's been overcharging, and I think I located this as a possible cause.

Can anyone tell me why there are two wires coming off the alternator (what each one does) and why they go to the ignition switch?
    Last edited by Dexter; 04-27-2011, 11:02 PM.
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

that looks like melted cable because of heat. and the reason for heat is that the cable is carrying more amps than it was designed for.

looks like the circuit has been shorted somewhere. the problem itself isnt neccessarily where the melting has happened , thats just the weakest point of the cable.

if you have charging problems thats because the current is not going to the battery its going to the chassis or somewhere else because of the short.

I just realized I didnt answer any of your questions but maybe it was some help anyway
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Red is primary power in, always hot... from the battery.

Orange is primary power out... only hot when the switch is turned on.

That plug will get warm with just power off the battery if your connections are not optimal, much less if your system is over charging.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well the first thing I do tomorrow morning will be to visually inspect every inch of the two wires that leave the alternator to their respective end points in all directions. I know I have to repair that orange wire, but I'll probably end up replacing both the red and the orange wires from the alternator connector all the way up to the ignition switch.

sigpic

Comment

I can't see your pictures from here, but I might suggest slicing the harness open and tracing all the wires.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

A poor contact could cause that as could an overchrging system.

The key thing here is the bike is overcharging, the onlything that controls that is the regulator. If its overcharging test it and replace it.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

In his other thread, he was saying that he bought a used/replacement part and it's still charging high.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

That is a case of a bad connector, Yes overcharging can cause it but that connector was bad.
                That right there is why you inspect, clean and add dielectric grease to all your connectors..
                Last edited by Black_peter; 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Aprilia rectifier connector is notorious for " melting ". Cause, crimped terminals badly done. Cure, take connector apart, solder wires and terminals, reassemble connector with dielectric grease, end of problem.
                  Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

After examining the entire length of the orange main wires, and determining the flow of electricity goes from the ignition switch back to the fuse box to power all the electrics, I've decided the stocksectiin of 18 ga wire is insufficient. The orange wire out of the switch is 14 ga, then drops to 18 ga at the green connector. That length between the connector and the fuse box also has the feed from the alternator tapped into it. At the fuse box is splits into three other orange wires. Why they made that section 18 ga between the green plug and the fuse box is beyond me. I'm upgrading it to 14 ga, soldering all connections and using heat shrink instead if tape. It will also have a new weatherproof connector to replace the green one. I'll post pics and results later.

sigpic

Comment

Good deal Alex. I'm sure you will be just fine after this
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Let us know how it works out. I am interested as both my bikes charge high.

Comment

I think you're treating a symptom..

Your connector burned up because it was bad sure, but if you have a charging issue you better solve that. Or you just put a penny in the fuse box. The next weak link will now burn.

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
                          Let us know how it works out. I am interested as both my bikes charge high.
                          If your bike is charging high the solution is to fix your alternator.
                          Last edited by Black_peter; 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

So I've now solved all my issues. The root of all my problems was within the ignition switch wiring between the switch and the green connector. All four of the wires were broken at the same spot. The red and the orange were just hanging on by a thread.

I had to disassemble the ignition switch and desolder the red and orange wires from the contact plate and replace them with new 14 gauge wire. I put a new connector on to replace the melted green one and ran two new 14 gauge wires to replace the old red and orange wires.

After all that I started it up to test and the highest voltage I could get was 14.3 volts at 5000 rpm. I am a happy man! Check your wiring people.

I now have a good used alternator to sell. :S

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X