X

Voltage required to start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage required to start?

Hi all I just bought my first bike, a 2000 Katana 600 with about 27k miles. I had a knowledgeable friend look at it and ride it and he said it was fine. Went to ride it earlier and it started up fine, but I took the choke off too soon and it died. Then it would not start again. Acts like there's no power to the battery. All the lights still come on just nothing when I press the starter button. No clicking or anything. Put a volt meter on the battery and it reads 11.81 volts with the ignition on (12.4 or so with ignition off). Is that not enough voltage to start?

I understand these things don't recharge the battery very well unless its ridden a bit. Earlier today I had ridden a little bit too, but being a newb about these I kept taking the choke off to soon or stalling or otherwise needing to keep starting it. So.. do you think the battery just needs to be charged? I thought it would at least make some noise but is there something preventing the starter from engaging if the voltage is below 12?

I've also heard its not good to jump start these things. Is that true?

Check the switch on the clutch lever. Also put it in neutral with clutch pulled in to start.

Comment

jump starting is ok if done from a non-running car. last connection is ground away from battery.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks, friend of mine push started it, then figured out the problem is in the starter/kill switch assembly area. Thanks for your input guys

Comment

just an FYI Kat CDI seem to want to see 10.5 volts or more before it fires off the coils/plugs. There may be enough voltage to turn the starter over, but not enough to fire the CDI. I have the meter on the battery when i hit the start button to check the voltage. a battery showing 11 or 12v with the ignition on may well show under 10v when you hit the starter button because of the starter's draw.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

5000 miles later..

Well its the end of the riding season here and I've put about 5000 miles on the bike this summer since my post here. It's been an awesome first bike; never had any problems with it.

Comment

You may have a full charge of 12+vdc but if your battery doesn't have the necessary amperage it's never going to start. Pull the battery take it to the auto parts store and have it load tested... chances are it's falling short on the amp scale.
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
              X