Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Replacing instrument panel light bulbs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing instrument panel light bulbs...

I wanted to swap out my instrument panel bulbs to LED versions but I cannot locate any information about what the sizes are of the bulbs. Yes, I checked the manual and got the wattage but nothing else as far as sizing.

Has any one else replaced them, or know specifically what the sizes are of each bulb? Is there any way to do this without pulling the gauge panel off?

I dont know the specifics of what you want, but another member here posted recently, that he did that mod, and the LEDs were ot bright enough. Just food for thought...
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Comment

http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32481 this what i saved from the recent post on this topic
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
        From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
        Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

Comment

Don't replace the High beam indicator, the a bright LED makes it really bright in your face at night when you need the best vision. i actually found a lower wattage bulb and put a dim bulb in it. I ordered from VLEDs.com several years ago and have been happy with the results. " katriders " used to get a 10% discount but I don't know if it still works. If you sign up for their newsletter they will send you discount codes. I don't remember what number the bulbs were but they had all of them. A site search will find the numbers for you.

JHILDE
          Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Looking for the best exhaust for your Kat or need help with the installation ?
            From the Mesh Mod to the Fender Eliminator, installing new signals, Braada Cowls,
            Frame sliders or Undertails; Show us all of your custom mods and share your tips here.

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I have already visited both threads mentioned above, but from the looks of it, one is on a post, and the other a 600. I just don't know if those will be the same ones for my pre750.

Comment

I can confirm for you that the pre 750's also take #194's for the backlighting of the gauges. I replaced a couple of burned out ones when I bought the bike a few years ago.

I've thought about LED conversions for the instruments before but I always thought the light put out from LED bulbs was too focused to be effective in backlighting applications.
                My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter View Post
                  I can confirm for you that the pre 750's also take #194's for the backlighting of the gauges. I replaced a couple of burned out ones when I bought the bike a few years ago.

I've thought about LED conversions for the instruments before but I always thought the light put out from LED bulbs was too focused to be effective in backlighting applications.

heres where the makers specs come in... you have to look at the LEDs bulbs projection angles... most of them have options, 90 deg, 120, 180, etc.

for a plate light, you want a wider light angle, on single indicators behind jeweled lenses, 90 deg is fine, but on backlit see thru gauges, diffuse to avoid "hot spots" of light, and on reflected light gauges like the Kat, you want high intensity 90 deg type, since they point at the edges of the cluster internal, to reflect onto the face.

of course, if you want to be REALLY cheap... go get some testors model plastic paint, and dip the bulbs.. like we did in the 80s

See My Garage for mods...
                  T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                  Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Dexter,
                    Thanks for the info. I may retract from using them, but I may at least buy a few to see how they work before just replacing them with a standard bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by popey View Post
                      Dexter,
                      Thanks for the info. I may retract from using them, but I may at least buy a few to see how they work before just replacing them with a standard bulb.
                      Popey, Jay's response above seems to have cleared up my concern. I wasn't aware that #194 bulbs were available at different projection angles. What he has seems to work great for the application (despite the blue color )
                      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X