Clear All

nice
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Gettin' mighty fancy thar! I'm liking it.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

OOOoooooo. Keep us informed I will definitely be looking for the finished product.
        My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
        Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

I'll feed ya lil bits of info just to tease hows that??...

I decided on a fuse holder...

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Subscribed and would like to mentaly pre-order one.....and...done
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            Current project: Un-Katchable
            sigpic

Comment

Hey whoa chris, what's the word on the fiber man?

Comment

My priorities have gotten in the way for the moment. I hope to be getting to it soon.
                I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                -Unholy m-
                Current project: Un-Katchable
                sigpic

Comment

oh cool. good enough for me.

Comment

OK.. I'm going to order the boards and parts for prob 2 units to start this coming week, I probably won't see them until the 19th when I'm back from San Diego.

I also have been hunting the Position sensor.. There seems to be a few options from different year/model bikes, the new part costs are a bit high.. So I designed my own.. well sort of, first I'm going to do a test modification of one I took off my 600 parts bike.. I'm going to dig out the existing wire and use the cnc to cut a pocket and the 6 holes that are needed.
                    Last edited by GSXFJim; 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM.
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

I made some updates to the board...
                      I decided to have the option to have the 7-segment display on the main board as option for an application that may not have the real estate for a custom display mounting..

So the unit will have the following features;
                      on board display (optional)
                      remote display
                      in line blade type fuse holder

**EDIT**

So the case will have a RED ( i changed my mind) display behind a lite smoked lens if that's the desired option or a remote display that can be custom mounted anywhere you like. I decided to have a red display standard.
                      Last edited by GSXFJim; 02-07-2011, 11:18 PM.
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

The internal display's not for me but I can see how someone might prefer that. Sounding like quite the polished project.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

so Jim, just getting my head around a few things?

1. there will be 2, 7-segment displays? Like Bill says I think the remote display would work best in my case so water proof connectors and sufficient wiring will be important.
                          2. will a new neutral switch from a Suzuki gs1100/1150 be required with sufficient contacts or will your design use the stock Kat neutral switch?
                          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

If I understand what Jim's saying, the internal display will be an option, not necessarily an additional item. To use the stock neutral switch you'd have to modify it by drilling several holes and gluing in some brass welding rod to fill the holes and provide connectors to 'sense' each gear. Using the 'neutral switch' from another bike which came stock with a gear indicator is how you get around having to modify your stock switch.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                              1. there will be 2, 7-segment displays?
                              No, it will only come with 1, on the main board or 1 for remote mounting, not both.
                              (I consider the 7-seg display on the main board an option, most will want the remote mounted display.)

2. will a new neutral switch from a Suzuki gs1100/1150 be required with sufficient contacts or will your design use the stock Kat neutral switch?
                              First I'd like to clarify
                              neutral switch
                              You mean the Gear Position sensor correct? the sensor has a total of 7 pins, 6 for the gears and one pin between the pins for 1st and 2nd to light the Neutral light.

So to answer your question...
                              Yes (sort of), you will need a sensor with all 6 pins anyway for the system to work if you don't get a modified unit from me on a core swap basis.

..and No, in the programming of the electronics there will be a 'delay' built in so that the display will not show what will look like a lower case 'n' in between gear shifts, but when shifted to neutral, and the 'delay' timer runs out it will display the 'n', letting you know what your foot already knows, your in neutral. I may even have it flash, I haven't decided yet.

now.. if you want to keep the green neutral light as well (in addidtion to the counter), you will need the GS unit and connect the Neutral wire into the Kat's wiring.

I am working on moding my own spare sensor to add the 6 pins, if it works out well and it is fairly painless operation I will provide the sensor as a part of the kit on a 'core' swap condition.

Like Bill says I think the remote display would work best in my case so water proof connectors and sufficient wiring will be important.
                              I will use an appropriate connector for the terminations, for example I will use a locking 6 pin type like Suzuki uses and add shrink tube at the end;

If I know in advance someone is using a GS unit I can add the male counterpart connector like these;

If you want a true 'water-proof' connector, I can provide those too but they are pricey.. just fyi

I plan on using a PVC jacketed cable.
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

I have since rewired my gear position sensor circuit and used Cat5 network cable from the neutral sensor to the circuit board mounted under my dash to clean things up and make them look tidy. When I redo the entire set up to clean it up and make it look all professional like, I'll use the Cat5 from the circuit board to the LED too. My current setup was my prototype so no the prettiest thing going but rock steady dependable since going to the GS sensor. There is no doubt in my mind that you can modify the stock Kat sensor to work, but you need to be able to measure and machine to thousandths of an inch so the new contacts are press fit into the plastic before sealing them with an oil proof sealant. Also make sure all soldering of wires is done prior to pressing the contacts into the plastic. Mine didn't leak right away but after a couple of months of riding it starting to leak and only when the bike was hot.
                                And if you aren't hung up on using OEM looking connectors, weather pak connectors are awesome and not too pricey.
                                Why a delay in the circuit?, you have a contact to use for neutral indication.
                                OH, and if you need a test mule for your board .......... pick me !! I can get all the required electronics locally.
                                Last edited by Astro4x4; 02-08-2011, 12:06 AM.
                                2000 Katana 600
                                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Working...
                                X