X

Not starting, really weak spark.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not starting, really weak spark.

Okay, so I replaced the plugs with iridium NGK plugs and it still wouldn't start. A few coughs here and there, and it caught once without the tank on. So it only ran for a few seconds. I checked the gap before I put them in (they were all 0.6mm anyway). So I went over everything else. Rechecked the compression using my grandfather's very scientific and extremely accurate method. I put a penny over the hole and sat the spark plug socket and extension on top of it. Bounced the stuff around plenty good enough. Better than the van, but not as strong as the truck.

Pulled the carbs and stuck my finger in each intake. Gas on each of them.

So I pulled the plugs one at a time and I had a spark that was barely visible. I'm talking, I might be able to see it if I got like almost nose to the plug and cupped it so there wasn't much light on it.

The coils test within tolerance, almost dead center in tolerance. Tested the rest, etc... Then I tested the voltage across the coils. With the bike jumped and the van running I get 12.8VDC across the battery. I get 9.2 on the primary of the left coil, and 10.3 across the right coil.

Think the relay mod people were talking about in the 1100 forum would work?
    "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

I'd be real tempted, especially since it'll run you less than $20. Of course, the "proper" way to do it is to start chasing through your entire wiring system, cleaning contacts on all the switches and connections. That should only take you until about next spring!
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Lol, yeah. I already swapped the wiring harness to the one that had come off the '01. Runs tons better and the ground in my system is gone.

My only question with the mod is where the power goes to the coils. You really just run one wire and "T" it off to the two blade connectors on the coil? I've got inductor theory running through my head that says that wouldn't work. Of course, inductors behave weird in DC anyway, and it's been like 5 years since I took the class.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was able to make sense of his pictures and half directions. A beer or two makes everything clearer. Now I can't drive to get the parts though There's always tomorrow I guess.
      Last edited by downrangefuture; 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM.
      "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Originally posted by downrangefuture View Post
        ...Nevermind. I was able to make sense of his pictures and half directions. A beer or two makes everything clearer. Now I can't drive to get the parts though There's always tomorrow I guess.
        May as well have another beer then!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I did. Several in fact. I am a sailor after all. But no driving or riding after even one. Hitting a parked car after "just one" when I was 19 or so cured me of that.

Comment

Can you share the link with for that thread please?
            1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

Um, sure.

I also added the schematic I'm going to use. I'm an electronics tech, so that makes more sense to me. To each his own I guess.
              Attached Files

Comment

Charged the battery on the trickle charger all night and today, it still wouldn't start. I pulled out my spark tester before I pulled the plugs, and I got huge inch long blue sparks. I'd say that's good enough to start right? I'm still just getting the 10.4V on the coils, so if I ever get it to crank, I'll probably do the mod anyway.

So I'm back to probably an A/F mixture.

Comment

Get a new battery.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Get a new battery.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Get a new battery.

Comment

Um, sure.

I also added the schematic I'm going to use. I'm an electronics tech, so that makes more sense to me. To each his own I guess.
                        Thanks for the jpg. Makes more sense to me, too.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks! This makes alot of sense now.

Um, sure.

1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

Just saw how small that one was. Sorry. Here's a decent size one.
                            Attached Files

Comment

If a new battery was needed in this situation, would hooking up a charger to jump start the bike work or could it still not start with a jump
                              I invite you to church.

Comment

Working...
                              X