X

heated grips off the fuse box??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heated grips off the fuse box??

Hi, i've just picked up some heated grips and i'm a bit stuck about wiring them in as i have no idea when it comes to electrics.

the bike is a k3 750, and the grips are protected by a 5amp fuse,

Can i take a piggy back connection direct from the wires coming out of the fuse box and which system would i be looking at taking it from, i think i've a few choices of 5 or 10 amp wires coming out of the fuse box.

If I recall correctly there are spare power connections on the stock harness... I'll have to check the service manual after work... someone else may be able to give electrical details in the interim.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
      If I recall correctly there are spare power connections on the stock harness... I'll have to check the service manual after work... someone else may be able to give electrical details in the interim.
      There is a set of wires that should lead to know where because some Kats came with a fan for emission perposses and other Kats did not.

Comment

without pulling the loom apart where about would i find them? i'm assuming somewhere towards the front?

Comment

There's a pair of accessory wires under the front fairing, to the right of the headlight. I wouldn't use those for your grips, however. Instead, use them to drive a relay and take power through the relay directly from either the battery or the thick, red wire at the starter solenoid.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

cheers for that, any idea what colour these wires will be?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon UK View Post
              cheers for that, any idea what colour these wires will be?
              right off the top of my head, brown and light green under the tank or up toward the headlight. There are a few unused wires along the harness but be sure not to overload the curcuit!
              I personally would run it straight to the battery with a fuse link. that way if that fuse blows it only effects the grips and nothing else on the bike.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Brown and green sound right. Like I mentioned before though, use them to drive a relay, not to drive the heaters directly. Less likely to blow the wiring and you'll also have more current to drive the heaters efficiently.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

ok thank you guys, i think i'll be going with a relay option, cheers for all the help

Comment

Use a relay and pull the power direct from the battery
                    the trigger for the relay could be easily tapped into the 3rd light or taillight, something that comes on with the key
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                      Use a relay and pull the power direct from the battery
                      the trigger for the relay could be easily tapped into the 3rd light or taillight, something that comes on with the key
                      You mean like the accessory wires next to the headlight?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I ran a piggy back fuse block ,look here http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=a...fuse&_osacat=0 you just replace a fuse and this thing adds another hot with a fuse. I got ground from the little middle headlight. working great for a year now.
                        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          You mean like the accessory wires next to the headlight?
                          Accessory wires on mine have power all the time... for the clock
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Ah! My pre doesn't have one of those. The accessory wires go dead when I turn off the ignition.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to chime in. I recently purchased some Track Side heated grips from Cycle Gear and put them on my Kat 750. They connect directly to the battery and have their own inline fuse. They are a little longer than the stock grips so I had to Dremel out the ends to allow the end weights to go up inside a bit. But, they work great and are reasonably priced. I can now ride for hours in cold temps wearing only regular riding gloves instead of those big North Pole looking ones, makes it much easier to work the controls also.

Here is the URL for them:

Last edited by ChrisInTexas; 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM.
                              "Emini's are the future"

Comment

Working...
                              X