X

gremlins strike again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gremlins strike again

hello all. well as some of you know, ive been havin on going issues with my bike, not idling, or idling high, and then shutting off.

well i got tired of tryin to fix the carb issues so i let my managers step son work on it. (hes a guru of anything pertaining to bikes and 4 wheelers, he works at a shop that works on all kinds of models)

well anyways, he got all the fuel and and carb gremlins shaken out, he fires up the bike, runs great, crisp as can be, until it gets warm.

once its warm, it starts to fall off and die, and wont restart until it cools again.

now he was finally able to shut it off as it dies, and then restart. he did this a few times checking this and that. and he decided to pull and plug and ground it to see the spark its getting

when its cold, it has a nice bright blue spark. when it gets warm and wants to die, the spark get dimmer and dimmer.

i doubt its coils, b/c i dont think two coils are gonna go bad at one time, and i know it'll run on two. he took apart the CDI box, and found no visible faults and smelled nothing burnt...

any ideas what could be causing this??

thanks in advance

Remember that heat reduces a wires current carrying capability, only creating more and more heat until the connection fails. I Just solved a similar issue where the sidestand relay wasn't getting enough current through the 16 AWG ground wire (which also carried the tail light, starting circuit and turn signal ground) and was cutting spark to the engine. On low voltage DC systems, heat and corrosion wreak havoc. I ended up jumping out the sidestand switch and grounding the relay directly at the battery terminal plug and everything is working better than it ever has. It doesn't seem exactly the same problem youre having but hopefully this helps a little

Comment

Er, this thread is from JULY. I'm guessing he figured it out.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Oh one more thing. I also put a dab of electrical oxidation inhibitor (commonly known as no-lox or de-ox and available in electrical wholesale houses)in all of the female plugs as i plugged everything back in to prevent further corrosion. I believe this will eliminate a lot of future "gremlins"

oh yea, oops..
        Last edited by distort2static; 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

well my guy did finally get it figured out. the shutting off after it got warm ended up being the CDI box. he also went through the carbs about six times and finally got them tuned up and cleaned out. i was at his place a few weeks ago, and it ran great. it just would stall a bit after it got warm b/c the idle circuit was a bit rich. so i should have it back by the end of the week

Comment

Working...
          X