X

LED turn signals, need more power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED turn signals, need more power

I bought a pair of Katana mirrors with the LED turn signals build in. I sliced into the wires going to the existing turn signals. Problem is, when I have a bulb in the old turn signals, then only half of the LED's light up on the new turn signals in the mirrors. When I remove the old bulb, then all of the LED's light up fine.

Did I wire them up wrong? How do I wire them up so that both of the turn signals work?
    Attached Files
    1998 Katana 600
    sigpic

It may not be the same issue... But when I installed my rear led turn signals it did the same thing, until I added the led flasher relay.. cost me about $8..
    2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

parallel circuit would be the best way to wire it. a parallel circuit shares voltage but splits amps, with leds you dont need a lot of amps, series circuit divides voltage between all loads but they all get the same amps. how did you wire it

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheeladict View Post
        parallel circuit would be the best way to wire it. a parallel circuit shares voltage but splits amps, with leds you dont need a lot of amps, series circuit divides voltage between all loads but they all get the same amps. how did you wire it
        They are already wired in parallel.
        1998 Katana 600
        sigpic

Comment

I have those on mine:
          You need an LED flasher relay.
          You connect the wires into the same plugs the original indicators came from, but you have to replace the existing flasher relay with an LED one. You might have to swap the rear indicators for LED ones too. I don't know though, as I did all four indicators to LED at once.

Comment

If them suggestions dont work you could probably run a seperate relay going to each mirror using the original turnsignal positive wire as the positive trigger for the relay and wire in power from the battery itself.

Comment

Hmmm. My hope was to keep the existing turn signals, but add the ones in the mirrors as well. Perhaps I will look into doing the daytime running lights mod on the existing front turn signals? Any reviews on that?

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
              I have those on mine:
              You need an LED flasher relay.
              You connect the wires into the same plugs the original indicators came from, but you have to replace the existing flasher relay with an LED one. You might have to swap the rear indicators for LED ones too. I don't know though, as I did all four indicators to LED at once.
              Can you provide a link to the LED relay you used?
              Last edited by DirectorOfChaos; 07-06-2010, 12:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              1998 Katana 600
              sigpic

Comment

Well, so far I hate these mirrors. They are flimsey, and the mounts suck. You have to crank the bolts on the hinge as tight as possible or they slowly adjust themselves backward from the wind so all you see is ground. Not to mention that you have to disconnect the wires whenever you take off your fairings. So far, not too thrilled with them
                1998 Katana 600
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorOfChaos View Post
                  Well, so far I hate these mirrors. They are flimsey, and the mounts suck. You have to crank the bolts on the hinge as tight as possible or they slowly adjust themselves backward from the wind so all you see is ground. Not to mention that you have to disconnect the wires whenever you take off your fairings. So far, not too thrilled with them

This seals the deal for me. I was looking at the same mirrors. This is very helpful info and I won't be buying them. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorOfChaos View Post
                    Can you provide a link to the LED relay you used?
                    Would if I could but it was one just laying around in a mate's garage he kindly donated.
                    THIS http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/3-pin-...30w-p-310.html however looks the same, or at least would do the job.
                    Shame you didn't like the mirrors. So far the only issue I've had with them is the LEDs could do with being brighter.

Comment

Ya. It's a pitty they are not higher quality. They definitely look cool on the bike. They look nicer than any other mirrors I have found. They just feel really cheap. The glass looks like it's ready to fall out the first time I hit a bump in the road. lol

Also, I am still trying to figure out how I am going to take my fairings off since now there is a wire connecting the mirrors.
                      1998 Katana 600
                      sigpic

Comment

that is why i changed my huge stalks with short stalk leds on a bracket that doesnt require removal for fairing removal

Comment

They do look like they could do with some filler between the mirror and the plastic case, but haven't actually had any signs of trouble from them during use. Drill a small hole in the fairing to feed the wires through, then route them along the frame under the clocks and have the connectors for them there. I can reach beside the forks and get to them easily, then just slide them out the hole and unbolt. It's not actually that difficult if you mock it up with string and see it visually. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
                            They do look like they could do with some filler between the mirror and the plastic case, but haven't actually had any signs of trouble from them during use. Drill a small hole in the fairing to feed the wires through, then route them along the frame under the clocks and have the connectors for them there. I can reach beside the forks and get to them easily, then just slide them out the hole and unbolt. It's not actually that difficult if you mock it up with string and see it visually. Hope this helps!
                            Ya, What I did was drill the hole directly through the mounting bracket so you cannot see the wires at all. It's all contained within the rubber boot. Problem in, the electrical connectors will not fit through the hole in the mount to take the mirror off.
                            1998 Katana 600
                            sigpic

Comment

What kind did you use, and how big is the hole?
                              These little red ones are what I used: Smallest of the standard colour-coded automotive electrical connectors I could find. Only 5mm diameter before crimping and not too much bigger at the widest points after. If you adjust the hole to account for pulling a connector through with a wire still in there, you shouldn't have those problems any more
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X