Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Bike won't idle after being wet Any ideas why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike won't idle after being wet Any ideas why?

Got caught in the rain and the very next morning, the bike would not idle and ran REALLY rough. Took to bike shop and they tried to tell me that the motor was no good and that was the problem. After picking up the bike, (after drying out) bike runs fine again.

Anyone have any ideas on what got wet that would make it so the bike would run rough and not idle???

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Probably something related to ignition. Ignition module, coils, plug wires. Seal up where wires (especially the high voltage stuff) exits, use dielectric grease on connectors.

Comment

Katana Idling promblems after wet weather exposure

From what it sounds like, I believe your problem to have been water on your coils or a connection on your wiring harness that does not have a water tight seal.
      Check your electrical connections for exposed wires or broken harness that need to be replaced.
      I have had this problem one or twice on a car and a bike.
      My 1992 camaro, I powerwashed the motor when i first got it to clean it up some, while washing the motor I was carefull not to get water in the air intake, but what I neglected to pay attention to was the externally mounted coil on the intake. After washing, I attempted to start the engine, spitting and sputtering, hard starting, idling eratically, The engine would not idle properley and would cut off.
      Thought I had broke it.
      Turns out it was just water on the coil and coil connections.
      I wiped the coil down and let it dry out, car fired right up like there was never a problem.
      I am pretty sure the situation was very simalar with your bike.
      So double check your exposed electrical stuff for things that water could get into.
      Electrical tape is always a good tool for this paticular situation.
      Also I noticed on our bikes where the alternator in mounted on the back of the engine, that you can see the wiring coils inside the alternater due to the vents built in for ventallation, there is really no way to keep water from getting in there and I am 100% sure if water were to get in the alterator, it would cause starting and idling problems.
      I guess are bikes just aren't meant to ride in the rain.
      Well I am glad your bikes running good again!

Comment

Thanks for the advice will be taking the bike apart myself this weekend Should have not been lazy and done it myself the first time! Oh yeh went to ride it to work this morn and it wouldnt start again!!

Comment

[QUOTE=supersoldier05;1955007]From what it sounds like, I believe your problem to have been water on your coils or a connection on your wiring harness that does not have a water tight seal.
          Check your electrical connections for exposed wires or broken harness that need to be replaced. [/QOUTE]

What i was going to say.
          99 Katana GSX600F -03 Bandtana GSX1200F- 06 Charger Daytona R/T

The Tallest KAT Rider.. Out there! PERIOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust340 View Post
            the motor was no good and that was the problem
            WTF kind of reply is that?....

Trust our fellow Katriders to get it sorted
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Working...
            X