X

Need Help With HID Conversion Kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help With HID Conversion Kit

Im not the greatest person with electronics or wiring so i figured that some one here must be.lol. I have a 1994 katana with the single bulb headlight and for some reason its not working. When i turn the bike on the lowbeam/running light does not come on. So i desided that i wanted to change the headlight over to the HID system just because its a nicer look and alot brighter.
    so i found a kit in the royal distributing catalogue (link:http://www.royaldistributing.com/mai...PageNumber=369) and i was wondering if anyone knew if this kit would fit. It uses H4 bulbs and i have no clue if that will fit my bike. Also, can i use just one light from the kit or does it need both installed to work.
    Thanks
    p.s. if you know of an HID kit thats better for about the same price that will fit i am all ears!

Most of these kits are pretty standard. A lot of people claim to have a superior HID product, but I've been running a cheap Chinese Ebay kit for 3 years and have never had a problem. The H4 will fit the Katana. You do not need both to work, but you'll probably look ridiculous because one headlight will be so much brighter than the other. However, because the Kat's headlight housing was never intended to contain HIDs, you may pizz-off a few drivers with the brightness, so make sure you focus the beams slightly upward (slightly, not to search for owls in the trees) so you won't draw attention from the po-po.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

ok thanks alot Nero
      but i wont look ridiculous because my bike only has room for one headlight lol

Comment

When I put in my HIDs I followed this writeup: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...nglasses+night

They work great and are crazy bright

Comment

i really like yours axelpkt so i think im going with a Bi-xenon projector HID kit instead. i found a sweet kit on ebay that comes with the angel eyes too :P

Comment

do you need a relay set up for a HID conversion? or can i use my stock wireing harness?

Comment

I was having issues getting the relay I had to work, so I am just running off the stock harness. Eventually, prob in the winter, I will try to get the relay to work.

Comment

There are special harnesses that you can buy for many bikes, or that can be adapted to many bikes. I just tapped into the existing wire using the diagram that came with my kit. It's not like there are 50 wires. It's pretty plug-n-play. Get the kit, lay it out on the floor and read the directions so it makes sense to you. It will fall into place once you see the kit and review the wiring on the bike. It's a Katana. It doesn't have a wiring harness suited for the Space Shuttle like my ZX-14. It should be very straightforward.
                Last edited by Nero; 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

ok great, good to know

Comment

It was pretty simple once I decided to not use the relay, I wanted to use a time-delay relay to have the headlights wait a few seconds before actually turning on. Plus not using it gave me more room to cram all the wires back in lol.

Comment

where can i get a time delay relay?
                      how does that plug in or splice in?

Comment

Read that writeup that I posted before, Uno did a good job on it and has some pretty good pics in. I followed it for my conversion.

Comment

Working...
                        X