X

changed oil, now dead.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed oil, now dead.

hey all. I need some help. I changed the oil, and went to start the bike. turned the key to the on position, and the red light came on. I set the kill switch to 'run', and when I flipped up the kickstand, the red light shut off. bike was dead. would not start. so I put the kickstand back down, reset the ignition, and the red light was back on. this time I went to start it and the starter made 1 click and that was it. dead and will not light up. I'm sure its not the battery, and the fuses look just fine. any ideas??

Sure it's not the battery? Check your connections, make sure the Solenoid is passing current to the starter, and last maybe a dead spot in the commutator of the starter. Bad brushes in the starter. Seems sudden, have you tried bump starting the bike? And when you say that the starter clicked once, did you mean the solenoid clicked?
    -Tony
    AMA #602868

Comment

it sounded like the solenoid. I was riding all day and decided it was a good idea to change the oil. was working just fine before. I dont have a volt meter, otherwise I would check to see if it's the battery. I just bought this battery maybe a month ago. problem is some guy hit my car on the highway and its undrivable so 1, I have no way to jumpstart the bike and 2 the cables are in the trunk

pushing the elec. starter button is what killed it both times
      Last edited by sublimeload420; 05-22-2010, 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I know this doesn't solve the original problem but you can do a running kick start to get her going.
        Pray Ride Live Love

1994 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by chuckles View Post
          I know this doesn't solve the original problem but you can do a running kick start to get her going.
          lol

Comment

Okay so I jumped the bike and took its wallet.. haha, no but it did start. battery acid levels look just fine, I'm guessing I've got a case of bad alternator....

Comment

I'm guessing you've got a case of bad connection at the battery. The "one click then nothing" symptom is pretty typical of a bad battery connection, or a bad main ground. Pull the cables off of the battery, clean them up with a wire brush, and then put them back on.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                I'm guessing you've got a case of bad connection at the battery. The "one click then nothing" symptom is pretty typical of a bad battery connection, or a bad main ground. Pull the cables off of the battery, clean them up with a wire brush, and then put them back on.
                Yup, that's good advice. I'd also throw it on a charger before your next outing. Those same bad connections (if it is that) can also cause a charging issue..
                -Tony
                AMA #602868

Comment

I left the battery on a 1.5 amp charger all night and when I threw the battery on in the morning, the bike started w/ no issue. I found a few junk yard alternators for 30 bucks, and a brand new OEM alternator for 120. I'm thinking about the new one, cause then I know it will last the lifetime of the bike

the alternator will keep the bike going once the bike is started, but when I jumped it, as soon as I killed the engine, everything died again. the terminals look okay. I feel its the alternator
                  Last edited by sublimeload420; 05-24-2010, 01:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by sublimeload420 View Post
                    I left the battery on a 1.5 amp charger all night and when I threw the battery on in the morning, the bike started w/ no issue. I found a few junk yard alternators for 30 bucks, and a brand new OEM alternator for 120. I'm thinking about the new one, cause then I know it will last the lifetime of the bike

the alternator will keep the bike going once the bike is started, but when I jumped it, as soon as I killed the engine, everything died again. the terminals look okay. I feel its the alternator
                    Why have you ruled out the battery?

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Get a cheap mulitmeter ($10), start the bike and rev it to 5k. The reading on the terminals of the battery needs to be about 14v. It definitely needs over 12v, but 14v shows healthy.
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I'd still pull the battery connections and give them a good cleaning. I've found you can have 'good looking' connections but still have corrosion or even be loose.
                        sigpic
                        Pepe Bouchard

Comment

I got bit by this on my Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. Lights were bright, battery voltage was good, but hit the starter and I'd barely get a click. I was convinced that it was the solenoid (which is on the starter). Pulled it out, which was a 5 hour project, took it up to the auto store, they tested it, it was good. Decided to replace it anyway since it was only $40 for a rebuilt one.

Put it in (2 hour project), hit the ignition, same thing. Took the battery up to the store, it was good, although it needed a little acid, it had plenty of ooomph to start. Found a little corrosion between two of the leads (side terminals, not posts on this battery), cleaned it up, now it starts each and every time.

The lights staying bright was what caused the error in my diagnoses. Well, that, and the day before it started as usual, no hesitation or slow cranking. Next day, *click*, nothing.

Lesson learned. Now if only I remember it next time...

Comment

My brothers bike used to do the same thing. He slapped a new battery on it, and it works like a charm now.

Comment

I havent ruled it out completely, but I've been running just fine as of late w/ no problems. I just know eventually, I'll end up charging it again, once it can't turn over the starter.... That alternator is 19 years old.

I'm gonna clean the terminals anyway for good measure thanks gentlemen, I appreciate it
                              Last edited by sublimeload420; 05-28-2010, 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X