electronics cut out, any ideas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronics cut out, any ideas

Help needed for trouble shooting electroncs

after running for a while the electronics shut down and the engine stahls, wait a few minutes and turn the key power may or may not come on, when it does the kat will startup, if the battery is low then the power does not come back for obvious reasons.

Re-charged the battery overnight and will check voltage before and after starting to verify charging system, suspecting voltage regulator.

Has anyone else seen this?

Anything from a faulty ground, faulty wire(s) or a faulty saftey switch for it to just stop running like that.

When it does exibit the symtoms, do you have any electrical power, like headlight(s) or dash lights?
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

My bike was cutting out a while back, traced it to the main connectors at the fuse box. Disconnected, cleaned, used dielectric grease, put them back to gether... no problems from that point forward...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When it cuts out the dash lights go completely out, once stopped if the dash lights come on with turn of the key the bike will start.

Currently the battery is fully charged from charging for two days and measures 13.+ volts while off, I was going to measure the battery with the bike running to verify the voltage regulator was doing its job and no go, there are no dash lights at all and I can't start it up.

I have 2004 Katana that I have been looking for a servic manual that definately covers this year, but mostly see a lot of 98-02 manuals online. I have a copy of the 98-02 manual (pdf) that i'm looking through to find trouble shooting ideas, test points and componant locations.

Keep the info flowing, the sooner this gets resolved the sooner I can ride.

Comment

here is another observation: the clock is still on while the key is in the off position, but when I turn the key to the on position the clock goes blank and resets to 1am.

Comment

If all lights go out, you have a loose connection/issue with the main power ciriut. It's either a bad connection, or a bad ground.

The bike is set up to run power to everywhere first with the fuses at the ground side of things.

If you have no power when you turn the switch to the on position, then use a volt meter to check for power starting at the negative end of the main power circuit, and back track to the positive terminal on the battery. When you go from no power to suddently finding power.... you found the spot your issue is at.

Be sure to check both sides of a switch/connection to see if it is the problem or is working.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by timagain View Post
              here is another observation: the clock is still on while the key is in the off position, but when I turn the key to the on position the clock goes blank and resets to 1am.
              The clock may have been installed at a later date then jury-rigged to power it. The OEM wiring for the clock runs from the back of the dash to the hot side of the fuse box, from within the wiring loom.

The power to the clock is independent of all other wires. There is one wire that goes from the fuse box to the clock.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Great news! My Kat is up and running, I believe that I found the component that has been giving me trouble, the connector that plugs into the starting module (name?) or the module itself?.

after charging the battery for two days I checked the battery voltage finding it fully charged, but when I turned the key to verify the voltage regulator was working the dash lights were still not coming on, so before going any further I turned to the 98-02 service manual to look for componants/test points.

I found that there is a main fuse that is seperate from the other fuses under the seat, checking continuity from the battery pos cable to the starting module, I decided to check the connector that plugs into the module and found some damage (possibly a little cooked) and the pin in the module looks a bit dirty/black, once plugged back in the dash powered up with the turn of the key and the bike will startup.

Thanks Krey and squiggy for your input, much apprciated

Now that I have found the trouble spot I'm going to look the module over and clean on and around the four pins as well as look over the connector to see what I can do to keep the connection solid.

I'm also going to look into replacement parts to prevent the problem all together.
                Last edited by timagain; 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                X