X

sparkless

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparkless

Ok guys, here it is. I posted a thread in mechanic, but my problem is ignition. Last weekend I decided to clean my carbs. Never played with carbs before, so I was scared to death. I finished and slapped it together and thought, man, what's the big deal. Took it for a run, and wow, just like new. The difference was unimaginable. I had the bike, 2000 kat 600, at my uncles, who lives about 15 miles away. I was giving it heck. No problems like before, you know, sluggish, poor response, hesitation. It was like that when I bought it last year, so it's brand new to me, and i'm diggin. I live in the hills, so, lots of curves. I'm on and off the gas. No problems. I almost reach my driveway, hadn't even started to slow down, and it died. No missing, sputtering, hesitation. Like I hit the kill switch. So, I get it home. Break out the trusty haynes and go to work. Checked my ignition switch, side stand, neutral switches. On the kill switch, I cut the ignition to on, and had power on one side of the switch. Cut off the kill switch and both sides had power. So I guess its good. Besides, if it was bad, bike wouldn't even turn over right? There's no spark what so ever to any of the plugs. I started checking the harness and found a melted wire. Ground, that went to the fuel gage. I replaced it and still no spark. Thought it might be my ecu, icu, whatever. Can a mechanic check it if i bring it to him. Thought about buying new harness of ebay, then icu, then all the switches til I found the problem, but would like to fix it myself. Any ideas
    Last edited by shadowspartin; 03-29-2010, 07:02 PM.

since you found a bad ground i would check the fuses and the relay that is on the front of the battery box the one with the red dot in it but i could be wrong
    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Philskat View Post
      since you found a bad ground i would check the fuses and the relay that is on the front of the battery box the one with the red dot in it but i could be wrong
      +1 you had to have blown a fuse somewhere.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

all fuses are good, and think I checked the relay right. So, I'm at a loss

read in haynes that fuses can sometimes look good, but aren't, think I should replace all of them
        Last edited by shadowspartin; 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Bad ground wires can do the same thing, check all the frame to battery, engine to harness grounds.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
          X