X

I hate wiring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate wiring

Well i have started my katana street fighter project and wanted more power. Well in my quest i found a 89 gsxr 750 for sale that wazs in an accident. I went and looked at the bike, bent forks yada yada, it has been sitting in a climate controlled storage locker for 2 yrs now. I would turn over when i looked at a few weeks ago. I was kinda impressed for a bike thats been sitting for almost 2 yrs. So now I am trying to get the thing running properly before I swap it into my tana. It turns over but i cant get it to start. so i checked the petcock and it is working. i can feel some compression out the pipe so then i thought i would check for spark. Well im not getting any. If someone knows a good link for the gsxr wiring schematic; i am going to dive into it this weekend, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have the Hynes manual for the GSX-R 88-97.
    I'll see if I can put it on a server.

Other wise I'll post the schematic.

This link should allow you to download the full size pic, it is a capture of a PDF, so not great but usable I think...

Last edited by Black_peter; 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The GSXR is a direct swap into the Kat.

I would replace the old gas... and give the carbs a quicky cleaning.

Will it run on starter fluid?

But you said no spark... so I guess that means it's cranking? Are the plug wires all seated firmly in the coil packs? And the fuses are all good?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i'm with steves, i would check the fuses and plug wires. Ya might want to look at the coils too, if the coils have a crack in the outer shell, they may need to be replaced.

Comment

I had checked all the fuses, it was cranking, i had pulled the tank checked all plugs and wires, checked the coils for power, checked for ignition etc...

then i gave the bike a few love taps after a phone call to the previous owner, he said it fired when he last rode it yrs ago. so after letting it sit on the battery charger and maybe a few beer later i thought maybe there will be a change and it will start. pulled a plug wire again cranked for a while no spark, called my mechanic friend to learn more about how the coils work and maybe i should be checking for some restistance then i cranked a bit more and it started to spark and it fired up. not sure what happened but it runs and thats all that matters.

i will sub to this thread tho for wiring schemtics, thanks guys. i guess it just wanted me to drink beer...... this could be a great start to a relationship

Comment

I would suggest cleaning all connections and grounds, then applying dielectric grease to them. Alot of times, a poor or dirty connection can cause intermitent issues like that.

Would suck to get an hour down the road and it cut out again.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X