X

Coil mount(s) question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil mount(s) question

I removed the coils to make it a little easier to remove valve cover. Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to detail; just removed the two bolts on each and the spacers. Now as I'm putting everything back together, I notice there is a small gap between coil to spacer to frame. According to the parts list I looked at there is nothing else there. If any of you riders remember this or have your tank off and can check, please let me know. If you really crank down on the bolts to try to snug it up; it ain't pretty. Ask me how I know.

There shouldn't be any gap. Are you sure you're using the right bolts? Also, you shouldn't have to torque those bolts down very much at all. I use a little bitty 1/4" drive ratchet or a driver handle and they snug down just fine.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yea, that's my concern. Bolts are the ones that I removed. The coils are tight against the frame; it's just that the aluminum spacers do not fill in the gap between the back of the coil bolt hole connection and the frame. Actually length of bolt would not make any difference. I guess I have too many years on old Airheads and just look for stuff to worry about. If anyone else has noticed this, chime in.

Comment

No, the spacers should be snug against the coil and the frame. If there is a space, either the coils are positioned wrong, or the spacers are not the same ones you removed.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Try swapping the coils, left for right. IIRC the mounting bars aren't exactly centered on the coils.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Really appreciate the help! Turns out my coils had been removed and put back with the bevel part to the frame. I had made a note of orange wire on top when I removed the coils, and now it's late, and I'm tired. So, with coil part no. underneath, electrical connectors, pointed to inside, with coil for cylinders 2 and 3 on the right and coil for cylinders 1 and 4 on the left, is the orange wire on top? Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X