X

1100 Starting Probs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 Starting Probs

New Member/Suzuki owner/Crotch Rocket Owner here. This seems to be a good place to get a little help. Ive looked around a bit, but havent seen anything. I WILL keep looking, but thought maybe a Guru here could point me toward a place to start.
    Just got this a couple days ago, 1990 Suzuki Katana 1100. Kid I got it from says he put a new Battery in BACKWARDS. No sparks, no smoke, nothing, he just noticed the bike didnt have any power (elec.). Figured it out, got new batt., but still no power. That was this past October. I got some advice from a couple of mechanics, and went to check it out. Found the Main Fuse/Breaker blown (can I really get this at any Auto Parts Store??). Jumped it with a wire and it lit up light a Christmas Tree, but still wouldnt turn over, not even a click. He didnt want to try to push start it at 10 oclock, in his Apt Complex (understandable), so we went home. Talked to the Mechanics again, and went back. Shorted out the Solenoid, and it turned over nice. Took it to work, put a charger on it for while, and started crankin her over. Got it fired up, but it runs a little ruff, unless you choke it just a little.
    Anyway, I wanna get it to Start with the Starter Button. I just spent about an hour tryin to see if I could figure it out, but could not. I did take the Button apart, it looks fine.
    Is there maybe another Safety, like the Kick Stand, it seems to have "switch" that it pushes when its up. Im holding the clutch in, Kick Stand up....anything else? Are there some fuses Im missing? Checked all 4 10amp fuses mounted by the Batt, they're good. Doesnt seem to be any juice to the Starter Button or the Kick Stand Switch. Should be something wrong between them (SB/KSS) and the Batt.....correct??...maybe. Anything I can check without cutting open any wire bundles?? ANY help MUCH appreciated!!!
    Attached Files

try pressing the kickstand switch with your hand sometimes it doesnt actually go to the

also look at the fuses and chech your ignition switches they might be bad

Comment

Check your grounds... Sounds like your getting power now, just make sure the grounds are clean, and properly connected. If not, not enough juice will run to turn the starter over.

Check again all the fuses. Also check all the fuse block connections, and the connections between the battery and starter. Clean and use dielectric grease on them when ever possible.

There are saftey switches at the clutch lever and at the kick stand. Check both are clean and properly connected. I recomend trying to start the bike in neutral.

Kats must have fully charged batteries to start of a starter. You should get the start to still turn it over, but it won't crank if you don't have a pretty full charge. Make sure you have a fully charged and good condition battery.

Krey

Check your grounds... Sounds like your getting power now, just make sure the grounds are clean, and properly connected. If not, not enough juice will run to turn the starter over.

Check again all the fuses. Also check all the fuse block connections, and the connections between the battery and starter. Clean and use dielectric grease on them when ever possible.

There are saftey switches at the clutch lever and at the kick stand. Check both are clean and properly connected. I recomend trying to start the bike in neutral.

Kats must have fully charged batteries to start of a starter. You should get the start to still turn it over, but it won't crank if you don't have a pretty full charge. Make sure you have a fully charged and good condition battery.

Krey
      Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-20-2010, 05:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Checked/cleaned Batt connections. The Starter cranks the Bike fine, when I jump the Solenoid.
        Will check/clean Clutch and Kick Stand Safty Switches in the morning. I always start Bikes in Neutral.
        Battery is New.
        I ordered a New Main Fuse/Breaker today. Presently its still "jumped" with a small aluminum wire, but seems to be working, for now.
        Anything else I can check while Im here?? Have a whole Sunday to check/fix stuff. It would be so great, not to have to raise the seat everytime I wanna take a ride.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Well, I DROPPED the dang thing today (dont ask ). Busted the Mirror Housing and Turn Signal Lense off the Left side, and broke the end off the Clutch Lever (still usable, but I HATE looking at it!!!) Will get New Lever Tuesday, when the Cycle Center opens. Im gonna try to JB Weld the Mirror and Turn Signal in the meantime, but I cant quite figure out how to get the "glass" out of the Mirror Housing, to bolt it back on after attempting to repair it. Does the Glass just "pop" out, or is there a trick?
          Last edited by MONSTER; 02-21-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Anyone have any more ideas?
            THANKS, to this Site, I got the Manual!!! But, just scanning through it, I didnt see anything that would help me figure this out.

Comment

Someone Please tell me how to get the Mirror out of the Mirror Housing without breaking something?

Comment

The plastic housing has a recessed lip the mirror sits in. You can pop the glass out by expanding the plastic lip so that the hole becomes larger than the glass. It's just a little bit, but enough to hold the mirror in. Don't over expand or you will stress the plastic, and the replacement glass will not fit tight.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Is there any way to disassemble the plastic housing the mirror glass is housed in? I bought my Kat from the PO without mirrors, so I don't have a reference.

You could consult Ron Ayers, they might have an exploded view of the mirrors, or at least a part number you could call a dealer about.
                  In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

I tried prying the lip back, but the mirror glass seems to be glued in. And the piece its glued to, seems to be solid, like if I take the Glass out, there will still be a sloid piece of plastic (or whatever its made of) blocking the screws I need to get at.

Couldnt find anything at Ron Ayers, but I may not have known what I was doing. I can never find what Im looking for, when I need it, online.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X