X

Car tail lights on a motorcycle?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car tail lights on a motorcycle?

I was pondering over this for a while now. And, seeing as I'm by no stretch of the imagination an electrician, I was wondering... could you put an led tail light from a car on a motorcycle?

I have a 2003 750 Kat. I have an extra tail section that I was going to custom paint and perhaps add some fibreglass to redesign it to fit an led array of some sort to act as my tail / signal lights. I already have the sequential integrated tail / signal lights from clear alternatives (which might be up for grabs if this latest project works out) But I wanted something that was a bit brighter. I figured why not a car led?

Any thought would be appreciated and remember, I'm a laymen when it comes to wiring,... I'm not a complete idiot,... but simple / explained terms would be great. Thanks!
    ROCP

Originally posted by mezalaja View Post
    I was pondering over this for a while now. And, seeing as I'm by no stretch of the imagination an electrician, I was wondering... could you put an led tail light from a car on a motorcycle?

I have a 2003 750 Kat. I have an extra tail section that I was going to custom paint and perhaps add some fibreglass to redesign it to fit an led array of some sort to act as my tail / signal lights. I already have the sequential integrated tail / signal lights from clear alternatives (which might be up for grabs if this latest project works out) But I wanted something that was a bit brighter. I figured why not a car led?

Any thought would be appreciated and remember, I'm a laymen when it comes to wiring,... I'm not a complete idiot,... but simple / explained terms would be great. Thanks!
    well one thing i have found from the kr forum, WHERE THERES A WILL! THERES A WAY!!
    sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
    www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

Can be done, no problems.
      It does eat more power so bear in mind you should get according wires.
      And you may have to switch the relay ?( not sure) Anyone?
      I guess you'll have to try it out.
      Just keep a fire extinguisher near you when you light it for the first time in case the bike catches fire..... jk
      Too old to dream, too young to reason...
      I am fond of my rough edges.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by David F C View Post
        Just keep a fire extinguisher near you when you light it for the first time in case the bike catches fire..... jk
        lol,... will do!

But does a car led draw more power than an incandescent motorcycle bulb?
        ROCP

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. You'll have to check specs on the led bulb.
          Too old to dream, too young to reason...
          I am fond of my rough edges.
          sigpic

Comment

lol,... will do!

But does a car led draw more power than an incandescent motorcycle bulb?
            Shouldn't. LED's have a much smaller draw than a regular bulb, so you shouldn't have to upgrade the wiring. As for how the tail lights work on the bikes, I believe there's just a positive wire and a negative wire. That means you snip, splice and go.

If you snag the manual for your bike from the wiki, it should have wiring diagram in the back telling you which wires are which back there.
            Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

LEDs usually only work with correct polarity
              so you pretty much have a 50 50 chance of getting that right the first time , they usually just dont work if polarity is wrong

LEDs use much less power than a incandecent bulb so unless there is a 1000 being used I probably would not wory about the load

you could bemch test using a car battery and see if you can make it work before cutting into the KAT or fabricating anything
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

just replace the old bulbs with LED replacements... they make ones that will replace the 1157 bulbs
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

It will work no problem they both work off 12 volts.
                  sigpic

Admin Removed Sig Due to Words. Do not Go Around the Swear Filter. Thank you KR MGMT

Haha.....

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                    just replace the old bulbs with LED replacements... they make ones that will replace the 1157 bulbs
                    Replacing the old bulbs with LED's was one of my very first mods. I found that the cluster that I used wasn't bright enough during the day. Or should I say only bright from one viewing angle?

In any case I was always under the impression that the LED's used in Car tail lights seemed bigger / brighter and had a wider viewing angle.
                    ROCP

Comment

Replacing the old bulbs with LED's was one of my very first mods. I found that the cluster that I used wasn't bright enough during the day. Or should I say only bright from one viewing angle?

In any case I was always under the impression that the LED's used in Car tail lights seemed bigger / brighter and had a wider viewing angle.
                      OE car taillight units are probably better spec. and quality units than most of the stuff we can buy off the internet
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I think I am going to invest the $50 for the LED's and see what happens. If I can't make it work, well at least I'll have some interesting Christmas lights for next year.

Meza
                        ROCP

Comment

It depends on the type of unit.. cluster style are the best.
                          Attached Files
                          http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                          http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                          "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                          "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                          X